Should I update iOS 6 to iOS 8 on iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mullet4evr, Oct 24, 2014.

1. mullet4evr, Oct 24, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014

mullet4evr macrumors newbie

Does anyone have any thoughts on updating my iPad 3 that is still on iOS 6 to iOS 8.1?

I haven't really had much of a problem with it, but since iOS 8 has come out, I find some apps have updates, but don't show in App Store and a couple apps have gotten a little buggy (force closes) after they were updated.

Thanks in advance.

2. mullet4evr thread starter macrumors newbie

3. mhdena macrumors 6502

I would not.

I have an ipad air on 7.1.2 it may never go beyond 7.

I have an iphone 5 on 6.1.4, no plans to go up with this, battery and speed are fantastic.

I have an iphone 6 on 8.0.2, not in a rush to go to 8.1.

Your ipad 3 will never be better than what its on now.

IMO

4. jian macrumors regular

I wouldn't. My iPad 3 was fast on 6, 7 was OK but I stopped using it, and recently I updated it to iOS 8 and it was noticeably slower.
    Don't get me wrong, it's still usable, and the overall user experience isn't necessarily bad, but it's not as fast as it once was.

That being said, unless you have an app that you need that requires iOS 8, stay at where you are now should be your best option.

5. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

You should also know that iOS 6 less than 6.1.6 has some security issues.

6. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

No. I required later OSes for Office, but overall fluidity and responsiveness WILL take a hit. 7.1 was tolerable, 8.1 is just annoying.

7. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Do not update, keep on iOS 6. iOS 6 is a better, faster, more fluid, more responsive OS. For the simple fact that it uses less system resources. Each iOS successively uses more resources and therefore performance degrades. I recommend keeping iOS devices on the iOS that Apple originally built for it.

8. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

you should update to 8.1 seriously for security and app compatibility purpose

The difference in how it looks is like night and day.

Im planning to update my iPad 3 as soon as the jailbreak for 8.1 is more stable.

Right now I'm on iOS 7 and its doing alright. No difference between 6 and 7 to me, speed and battery wise

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

My iPad 3 was great on iOS 7. iOS 8... Well now it's insanly slower. Insanly...

10. P1otr macrumors member

I'm having gesture issues on ios8. :( (iPad3)
    If only I could go back to 7.1.2 ...

11. mullet4evr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the input! Looks like I'm going to stay on 6.1.3

12. dickydoo macrumors newbie

I would say that it's slightly slower but still quite usable. I've been upgrading my iPad from iOS 6 to 7 to all the 8 betas, and 8.1 final is much faster than the betas. I'm not sure whether it's 8.1 itself, or because I finally reset my device and did an iCloud restore.

I would have recommended a definite no to upgrading to iOS 8.0 thru the 8.1 betas, but now I would give it a tentative thumbs up to go to 8.1 final. Also, a reset and restore from backup wouldn't hurt.

13. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Don't update. Honestly wish I could go back. It's terribly laggy and Safari is awful. Constantly crashes and gets stuck on web pages. I hope Apple release an update to fix this. But I doubt they care much for the iPad 3. I wish they'd allow us to roll back the iOS

14. stevemiller macrumors 68000

oh how i wish i could roll my iPad 3 back to iOS 6!