Should I update Mid 2010 MacBook to High Sierra?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sananda, Feb 27, 2018.

1. sananda macrumors 68020

I have a Mid 2010 MacBook (2.4 GHz, 4GB) on Sierra which has always felt slow no matter which version of the operating system it has been on. My other (similarly specced) Mac, a Late 2009 Mac mini (2.53 GHz, 4GB), has never felt slow. But it hasn't and can't be updated beyond El Capitan.

The MacBook takes a long time to get going. I tend not to turn it off because it takes 20 minutes ish after turning it on for any application to work normally. Once it's going, it can be ok for long periods of time. But it can also just hang for long periods.

I have done clean installs every time I have updated the OS on the MacBook. Should I now update High Sierra? Will updating making things better or worse for me?

2. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

You need an SSD for it to feel fast. Having 8 GB RAM would make it even better.

And yes that Mac mini can be updated beyond El Capitan, although some models may have problems with WiFi unless you update the WiFi card.

http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html
    http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/

3. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks.

I'm ok with the Mac mini being on El Capitan. In fact, the Mac mini is performing pretty much as I want it to.

I'll have to think a bit about putting an SSD in the MacBook. I'd have to pay to get it done and I think, if I'm going to spend money, I'd rather put it towards a new MacBook.

4. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

It's not a difficult upgrade. You just need the right screwdrivers. It's basically just a hard drive swap.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+Hard+Drive+Replacement/1670

For a beginner with the right screwdrivers, it's a 20-30 minute job for someone being extra careful. For someone who has done it a couple of times, it's a 10-15 minute job.

The price of the upgrade depends on the drive capacity, but if you don't need a large drive, you can a fully functional SSD-endowed 2010 MacBook for less than US$100. For the 2008 and 2009 Mac laptops in my sig (as well as others), I did the SSD upgrades myself.

5. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

6. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

+1. Also, the price paid for the SSD is not lost. You can resell it with or without the MacBook or you can put it in an external drive.

7. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

:D
    --- Post Merged, Feb 27, 2018 ---
    I suspect you could find someone to do it for perhaps $30 plus the cost of the SSD. It would be more at an authorized service centre, but something like this with a machine this old doesn't need an authorized service centre.

8. sananda thread starter macrumors 68020

The Mac mini I mentioned runs ok on El Capitan. Should I put El Capitan back on the MacBook ?