Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mactinkerlover

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2020
Okay, so my 13 pro is still running iOS 15.7. Yes I know it is wildly insecure now and I understand the risks.
Should I jump to iOS 17 or should I wait until I upgrade potentially to the 16 pro later this year when it comes out unless an app I need requires a higher iOS?

How does iOS 17 run compared to 15 on peoples 13s?

And please no "it's so insecure." I already understand the risk. And that's all the answers I've gotten on other platforms.

Also, I think it's just kind of cool to be running old software and the OS that was designed for this phone. It takes me back in time.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

• Sad
Reactions: shakopeemn

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
If you don't care about security then it's completely up to your personal preference. I personally like some of the features that iOS 16 added like lockscreen customization, Live Activities, and the ability to display the battery percentage.

Performance/battery is harder to measure as it will depend on what exactly someone is doing with their phone. It will be hard to make a fair comparison with a version from so long ago.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

twintin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Sweden
I’m using an IPhone 13 I got las autumn. It came with 16 preinstalled so I have no clue how it would run with 15, but with 17.3 currently run it has worked equally well for me as 16 with good battery and performance (battery last anything between 1 and 2 days).

If you do not miss features from IOS 17, you may as well stick with whatwver you have until upgrade of phone.

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Not sure this is a serious question @mactinkerlover , but if it is, here's my 5 cent.

I think you answered the question yourself, you think its cool to run old software and don't care about the security, your own or others.
Not sure what you mean by "takes me back in time", its not like iOS 15 is extremely different from iOS 17. If you would have said iOS 5 then I would understand better what you mean.

I'm using 17.4.1 on my private 13 pro and it runs great. The only major issue i've had was a mid iOS 16 release that was draining my battery due to a but when a specific built in app was deleted.
I also manage around 1400 -1500 iOS devices. Most of them are iPhone 14 and SE2 and SE3 these days and 95% of them are running the latest OS.
Some are extremely behind but that's on purpose to test apps on older OS. But devices with older OS are generally not allowed in on our network or can use our services.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If you're comfortable running insecure software then Vaya con Dios.

>I< personally think you should update, I think everyone should stay up to date. I doubt that knowledge will sway your decision... but you asked the question so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Yes. A 13 is not by any means an old phone.. I mean the 14 used the same chip. Anyway, I have a 13 Mini and iOS 17 runs great. It will be running iOS 18 when the time comes as well.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
If you are not planning to keep the 13 Pro long term (because you said you’d upgrade to the 16), then it really doesn’t matter at all.

Staying on a device’s original version is extremely relevant if you’re keeping it for a while.

iMelhado

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2018
United States

Apple release updates and security patches to iOS 15. iOS 15.8.2

You’re fine if you stay on it.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

Apple release updates and security patches to iOS 15. iOS 15.8.2

You’re fine if you stay on it.
Security patches of earlier iOS versions aren’t installable by devices that support newer (major) iOS versions. Any iPhone newer than the iPhone 7 (and therefore compatible with iOS 16) cannot install this.

Reactions: Shirasaki

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I support you running original software for the iPhone it was designed for. Coolness factor aside, a running original software also makes sure your device is in peak performance.

There’s always security implications when running older software, but weighing in the benefit of having a functional device albeit less secure is better than having a “secure” device that is no longer fit for purpose.

My take is always this: YOU, the user, are always the weakest link in your digital security.

• Love
Reactions: rocketbuc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.