Should I update my 3Gs to iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel3102, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Hey guys! Let me start by saying, I am an iPhone collector! There is NO way I'd use a 3Gs! Lol too slow

Anyways, I like to play with it from time to time, and it keeps asking me to update to iOS 6. Its currently running iOS 5. So, should I update? Will it affect any future retail value (if any! Lol)? Will it run slower?

Any advice would be great!

2. koban4max macrumors 68000

i dare you.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Affecting retail value? IDK.

However, I can tell you that iOS 6 is a polished form of iOS 5. It's actually the version of iOS I'd love to get back to on my iPhone 5. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on 7.1.2.

Anyway, I had a 3GS until about June of this year on iOS 6. It runs a tad slower, but not by much. However, it's stable and generally works very well on the 3GS.

About that retail value thing. I'd argue that that ship has sailed, considering that iOS 5 is not the original iOS for the 3GS. But that's just my opinion.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

The 3GS runs pretty well on iOS 6. You really won't see much performance difference between it on iOS 6 and iOS 5. I still have one lying around that I mainly use to play music sometimes. It won't really affect retail value either as the 3GS is pretty much set in its value regardless of OS at this point.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

iOS6 is the best iOS to date in my opinion. Definitely do it!

6. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the advice! I will do it! I also LOVE iOS 6 and wish I could get it on my 5s! Lol. I used to have an iPod Touch 4g on iOS 6 and LOVED it!

I agree, the ship has sailed. I am instaling iOS 6 while I write this :D

----------

Double dog dare me? :p

----------

Thanks! I agree, at this point, I don't think the OS will affect the price :)

----------

I TOTALLY agree!! I LOVED iOS 6 on my iPod Touch 4g! Im downloading while I write this :D

7. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

3GS runs iOS 5 a LOT smoother than 6 but 6 has iMessage so it's really the oldest usable iOS today.

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

iOS 5 had iMessage too. Just saying.

Used to iMessage my friends in Great Britain and Australia over WiFi on my 3GS using an email address.

Worked pretty well and I was pleased that with Talkatone I could do everything with the 3GS I could on my then primary phone (HTC Touch Pro) as long as I was on WiFi.

----------

I think you will probably be pretty happy then. It's a good iOS and I agree, it's also my favorite. You won't get Facetime of course, but since Apple won't update the certificate to allow FT to work on iOS 6 it doesn't really matter.

Enjoy it. I was pretty happy with that phone/OS myself.

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I always advocate keeping your iOS device on the lowest firmware you possibly can since updates are built to run perfectly on faster hardware. If you are asking if you should update to iOS 6 then I would say no, keep that baby humming along on iOS 5.

10. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

oh in that case I would stay at iOS 5.

11. iososx macrumors 6502a

iososx

Unless time and money are of little importance, buying an iPhone 6 or 6+ could be considered a waste of both. Apple history proves the upcoming iPhone 6S & 6S+ models, or whatever they get named, will be far better.

Well debugged, refined and improved in every way, Apples second version of a new generation is _always_ the one to buy and enjoy. Especially when resale time rolls around.

I speak from first hand experience with every model of iPhone made.

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ordinarily I'd agree, stay on iOS 5, but iOS 6 as I mentioned earlier polished iOS 5 up.

iOS 5 only had Twitter integration. iOS 6 added Facebook integration and Do Not Disturb. The GUI has been updated. All the way around iOS 6 is a much improved version.

13. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

I'm on the S cycle myself but get ready for some snarky responses to this comment by 5/6/6+ owners...

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What? No Black/Slate?

Get a real iPhone sir! :D :D

JK!!!! :)

15. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

YOU SEE WHAT I MEAN iososx?!?!?!

:p;)

16. myscrnnm macrumors 6502a

myscrnnm

A newer revision of phone is faster and more powerful than the one it replaces? Shocker!

I also don't see what this has to do with OP's question. It was in regards to updating a 3GS to a newer version of iOS. What's the relation to different models of iPhones? It's not like he/she is debating whether to get the iPhone 6 or wait for the 6S.

17. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I've used iOS 6 on the 3GS and it's much more laggy than iOS 5.

18. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys! Thank you for all of the replies!! I already updated it to iOS 6......I LOVE IT!! I really missed it! I had it on the ipod touch 4g, but I sold it :(