should I update my iOS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bj097, Dec 29, 2015.

1. bj097 macrumors member

mine is iPad mini with retina display bought in late 2013. I remember I had only updated the iOS once last year. It is iOS 7.0.3

The iPad mini is 16GB. I don't and I won't purchase iCloud extra space. Should I update iOS? will it become a bit lagged ? After updating the iOS for my iPhone 4S earlier , I regret so much because the whole thing became very slow and I had to sell out the phone

2. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If if it is Mini 2 then don't bother update to latest iOS because it can slow your precious Mini 2. As for iCloud I think 5GB is free for backup if there is small data to backup 5GB is fine. I purchased 15GB because I had so many stuff there to back up.

3. bj097 thread starter macrumors member

why don't you backup with iTunes? I think iCloud backup is less complete than iTunes backup........

4. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I updated my wife's original Mini to the latest firmware and it is running as well as it always has. We have never skipped and update with it.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I much prefer iCloud backup for many reasons.
    1) It includes all health data and achievements (iPhone/Apple Watch).
    2) It only restores absolutely necessary files, it does not include any extra junk and cache.
    3) It auto-backups every single night and I don't have to worry about remembering to plug it into iTunes.
    4) When restoring, you automatically get the latest version of the apps on your device, assuming you do not keep your iTunes library up to date it can be a pain to update all the apps before restoring your device to prevent data loss.
    5) As long as you don't keep a bunch of movies on your device, iCloud restore seems to be a little faster because of reason #2, only necessary files are loaded back onto the device.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Do an encrypted backup in iTunes and it includes health data.

Also, not everyone has a fast internet connection. If your internet connection isn't speedy, then restoring from iCloud backup takes a lot longer than restoring from computer.

Oh, and when you backup, iTunes asks if you want to copy the latest version of apps to your computer. So if you always say "yes," then you always have latest versions of apps on your computer without extra effort.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yes I know about encrypted backup but it doesn't change the fact that iTunes backups are extremely bloated. My iCloud backup size is 300MB. My iTunes backup size is 1.2GB.

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Oh yes I do back up with iTunes once in a while.

9. bj097 thread starter macrumors member

I wish to know , but I can't find a solid answer

Does iCloud backup Notes (and also SMS messages for iPhone?)

Another thing is

If my 5GB free iCloud space is used up, will it AUTOMATICALLY charge my credit card stored together with my Apple ID and purchase more space? This is something I worry the most

Since I will not spend anything for cloud space.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Notes are backed up to iCloud and are not part of iOS iCloud backup. They are part of just iCloud and sync automatically to all devices that are connected to your iCloud account. So your notes will be restored to your device upon logging into iCloud and turning on "Notes" under iCloud settings.

SMS is backed up in the iOS iCloud backup, and will be restored upon restoring your iCloud backup to your device.

It will not auto-upgrade you. It will send you emails and notifications saying your storage is almost full.

11. RoadWarrior56 macrumors member

I have a Mini Retina (Mini 2). I am running the latest version of iOS 9. I have no added noticable lag at all compared to iOS 8. In fact, this seems to be the smoothest version of iOS I have used. I also now have the benefit of some of the iOS 9 multitasking features. It should be noted that I have a 64 GB model, not 16 GB. I can't vouche that all users will have my experience.

12. chrfr macrumors 603

No, you will not automatically be charged for more iCloud storage and backups will stop if the space fills. You have to choose a larger plan manually.