Should I update my iPad 4 to 8.2 from 6.1.3

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Joshyg02, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Joshyg02 macrumors newbie

I've been using my iPad 4 cellular 16gb for a while on 6.1.3 and I'm debating whether to update to iOS 8.2 as I regretted updating my iPad 3 to iOS 8 only reason being is because most apps minimum iOS is iOS 7 but all the old versions of apps work fine on 6.1.3 so can anyone with an iPad 4 on 8.2 tell me what their experience is? Many thanks

2. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Short answer: yes. Recommend you back up your iPad4 and setup with 8.2 from scratch THEN restore from the backup.

Did it to the wife's a month back and it is running well. There was a bit of OS culture shock and I recommend you really really really take the time to go through Settings in detail. A lot of changes from 6.x

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

Another short answer: a short wait for 8.3...

I own a VZW iPad 3 and a VZW iPad Air, and I've installed the 8.3B4 firmware on each device, with an install over 8.2 (I have a dev account). The performance of the newest 8.3 Beta is IMO hands-down so much nicer to use and faster than even 8.2. 8.3 should be out around the time the Watch comes out, about a week. My iPad 3 is actually nice to use again, and I don't wince when I pick it up to use it or reach for the Air automatically!

I had two favorite iOS versions on my iPad 3 and iPhone - 6.1.3 and 7.1.2. Now I have three favorite iOS versions - 8.3 is shaping up to be what iOS 8 should have been on Day 1.

4. Joshyg02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know what you mean I rarely use my iPad 3 much now but it'll be nice to know its a fast enough device to use for everyday use if 8.3 is a success when the update goes to the public, it's just the lag is so noticeable especially in safari on my iPad 3 compared to 6.1.3 on my iPad4, my IPod touch 5 runs 7.1.2 nicely and that's what my iPod is gonna stay on

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

Ditto on the iPad 3 experience, I was so sorry for giving up on 6.1.3 and then 7.1.2. I deleted the IPSW files and do knock myself for doing that.

I'm going to perform a clean install on each device I own before installing 8.3, however. I have a BT keyboard I can use so entering in my credentials should go a little more smoothly...

Two things I'll give you some hope on for the iPad 3 and iOS 8.3, I'm using several Adobe CC apps (with the Paper and Wacom Creative 2 styli) on both iPads and I can't really tell the difference between my Air and the iPad 3. And, I actually turned off the "Accessibility>Reduce Motion" option on my iPad 3 - so a lot of the effects are enabled, and the iPad 3 is still very usable. I'm happy with the latest iteration of iOS 8, and I'll be holding off on iOS 9 - I've learned that lesson! Cheers!

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

The IPSW files wouldn't really help in general (short of quickly being able to use them right after upgrading at the very beginning when an upgrade is offered, during a short window that Apple might still be signing those versions).

7. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I've had no issues on my iPad 4 going from 7.1.2 to 8.x. I was reluctant at first but it's been pretty painless. But maybe as the previous posters have said, at this point maybe wait for 8.3.

8. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Should I update my iPad 4 to 8.2 from 6.1.3

My iPad 4 works great on 8.2. I can't tell much of a difference between it and my iPhone 6. I'm not exaggerating, it seems to run fine.

9. campyguy macrumors 68030

And, that's exactly the period I would have used them - during my initial "buyer's remorse period"! QED.

10. AddisonIII macrumors regular

My iPad 4 works pretty well for the most part on 8.2. Only real issue is Safari can bea pain at times. That said flip a coin and good luck.

11. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

My iPad 4 is never going off of 7.1.2. The first thing I noticed is how slow safari was on 8 so I immediately downgraded when I had the chance. My iPad 4 loads up safari pages faster than my iPhone 6! I wish I never would have left iOS 6. It's was so smooth on the iPad 4. 7.1.2 is pretty good too but in my experience 8 really bogged down my iPad 4 compared to earlier iOS's. Also if you ever want to sell your iPad 4 in order to upgrade I bet you could get more money for it if you leave it on 6.1.3. My 2 cents.

12. Joshyg02 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see what you mean about safari being slow I had my iPod on iOS 8 for a day but downgraded to 7.1.2 before the window closed luckily I tested it out for a few hours and decided 7.1.2 was better especially as I browse safari very often it was very irritating to find it was much slower and opening apps was quite a nightmare for the a5 chip on iOS 8 but I've learned apples tricks either stay on the OS it first came with or upgrade it once per major iOS update and leave it there for optimal performance my iPhone 5s seems to be fine in iOS 8 but control centre doesn't spring up as smoothly as it used to, hopefully 8.3 will be kind to us, thanks guys I'm gonna leave my iPad 4 on 6.1.3, my iPad 3 I'm gonna keep it updated to the latest version I doubt they'll support the A5X chip in iOS 9 anyways but not sure, my iPod touch on iOS 7.1.2 and my iPhone 5s on the latest version of iOS 8, might update it to iOS 9 if it's ok but will hang around on 8.2/3 to be safe many thanks still share your iPads performance and OS below to help other people deciding whether or not to update

13. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

6.1.3 is much faster, more stable and has an infinitely better UI, but doesn't run many modern apps and you will get update nags.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

In my experience iOS 8.2 works flawlessly on the iPad 4.

----------

Safari has to be redesigned from scratch. It's a pain even on newer hardware like the iPad air and air 2...

15. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I have a retina mini and it works like crap on ios 8, I don't recommend ios 8 on any ipad.

16. costica1234 macrumors member

I can confirm this on my iPad 3 as well, the latest beta of 8.3 is simply amazing. My iPad feels like brand new again, after so many hiccups in iOS 8...

17. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I don't believe you, does the keyboard still lags in safari ?

18. campyguy macrumors 68030

No lag here, just tested it out on both of my iPads - checked URLs, form fields - all good on both units, pretty surprised at how this has improved in this version of iOS. The only lag I experienced was typing in the Google or Bing search field. Still no remorse, looking forward to the final version.

19. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Yes it is laggy on safari, I just installed it on r mini

20. campyguy macrumors 68030

Well, that sucks. I don't know if it will help you out, I always wait for 2-4 hours before judging my iOS or Macs after an install - Spotlight's processes eat up a lot of resources, so I wait. I gave both iPads a day before testing it out. Good luck!

21. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

You wait a few hours? I am sorry buddy but it's just your brain getting used with the lag. It happened to me too when I was using the iphone 4.

22. campyguy macrumors 68030

No need to be a tool. I've got 6 college degrees and run a small company - I was just offering my experience, and I'm not sorry. 8.3 is on my iPhone 6 - great on that too. Buh bye.

23. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

I am not, I am sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention, I was just explaining what usually happens. A7 ipads are laggy on ios 8.

24. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

25. costica1234 macrumors member

Well, there is some lag here and there with the keyboard (I don't remember seeing a perfect keyboard even back on iOS 5/6...). I am not using Safari too much on my tablet though, but I can notice some lag in Messenger/iMessage when I type very fast. What I was referring to earlier as being "amazing" with 8.3 beta is the overall experience on my iPad 3 which has improved significantly from the previous releases. This is by no means a *perfect* release, it's just one that I can finally find it usable and only has a minimum of bugs which I can tolerate. :p For instance multitasking is much improved and the gestures work flawlessly :D