Should I update software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dgc0225, Jan 23, 2010.

1. dgc0225 macrumors newbie

How do I know if or when I should accept an update? How do I know if it is something that is behind the scenes and necessary, is it legit or just on a "need to use" basis? How do I know the difference?
    These are some examples of what software is currently available per my updates:

Java for Mac OS X 10.5 Update 6 version 1.0
    Remote Desktop Client Update version 3.3.2
    Digital Camera Ray Compatib... version 2.7
    Security Update 2010-001 version 1

I assume they are all OK but do I really need them? Also, the Java update listed has not been installed or opened, yet I noticed one day it was sitting in my trash can. How can it be two places at once? Why is it in the trash and in my "software update" to-do list? Why are the sizes different? The updates says the Java is 123MB but in the trash the same one is 139.1MB. Why?

Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Typically, make sure to do backups before upgrades. Unless you know of a conflict and upgrade causes, always do upgrades. They generally make software more stable and secure, along with fixing bugs and potentially adding features.

Though you may not think you use the Java, an app you use may use it without you knowing. Don't worry about the item in your trash can. It may be an older Java update that you never installed or may not be related to any of this.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Definitely do the Java and the Security updates. The Java update will improve security as well.

4. dgc0225 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am concerned about the one in the trash because it is the same version (6) but a different size. Why would that be?

How do I do a backup? Is that what the Time Machine is for? I haven't set that up.

Is there something online that Apple has that shows a list of updates and when? My iMac is 10.5.8 so is there some kind of basic list that shows what is generic to all iMac users with that version?

5. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I'd say use TM as insurance & go for it (install all updates). I never needed to revert with Time Machine, but glad its there.

6. dgc0225 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Highlight an item in your Software Update list and read the info provided. Often it will tell you something like "Users who _____ should install this update."

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Though I can't say with absolute certainty, but the different sized Java update in your trash may have been a corrupted download that the Software Updater trashed and re-downloaded on its own. It generally does a checksum check to ensure files download correctly.

Time Machine is one backup method. You can also look at CCC and SuperDuper as options for creating entire disk backups. You'll need an external HD for the backup. If you're limited on storage you can simply backup files you want. CCC can do a selected list of files, or you can just copy and paste the files manually.

As far as a list of updates. From Software Update, go to the Preferences and then to the Installed Updates and it will list all of the updates your machine has done and when.