Should I update to 6.1.4?!

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by vincenttngo1, Aug 14, 2013.

1. vincenttngo1 macrumors newbie

I currently have an iPhone 5 on 6.0.2 on T-Mobile. I'm sort of stuck on whether or not I should update to 6.1.4 or keep this firmware, and heres the reason why.
    I'm currently jailbroken and I have all the useful little widgets and utilities making my everyday iOS life easier (sbsettings, 5 item dock, custom multitask tray where i can adjust brightness etc.) and all those really useful things. But along with that I only get 3G connectivity on T-Mobile, and my phone tends to crash a lot....always respringing and apps randomly crashing and closing whenever I'm using it...
    Update to iOS 6.1.4 I would assume that all the glitching, crashing, respringing, etc would finally cease and I would be able to get my 4G/LTE connectivity, but then I lose all of the jailbroken goodness I currently have :(
    Should I update to 6.1.4 and lose my jailbreak? Is there any sort of app in the appstore where I can have easier access to things like brightness? Help me out!!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You ever think your jailbreaking is the cause of the crashing?

3. vincenttngo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was more than aware the crashing was because of my jailbreak, but it wasn't a major deal..its basically just a respring every now and then lol

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Then don't upgrade to 6.1.4. Sounds like you're fine.

5. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Should I update to 6.1.4?!

If I were you I would update as soon as I experienced these crashes and glitches you're talking about, it's not worth it, in my opinion. Plus, aren't you going to update to iOS 7 when it comes out?

6. vincenttngo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing thats giving me a push with the update is I want 4G/LTE connectivity on T-Mobile and the cease of glitches and whatnot would be an added bonus...but I'm not too sure if I wanna lose my jailbreak :(

Yeah I am going to update to iOS 7, I was actually planning on waiting till the release of iOS 7 since its coming right around the corner but then again I'm just getting a little impatient haha, I just wanted to get some opinions from the community thats it.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

That's for you to decide. I don't think JB is worth it, but then again I'm too lazy to bother customizing everything.

8. vincenttngo1 thread starter macrumors newbie

mm alright I decided to go for the update which is currently downloading

but another question arises. So I got my iPhone 5 unlocked from a 3rd party, will updating it lose my factory unlock? please let me know!!!

9. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Yes! Your iPhone 5 will get re-locked as you have unlocked it illegally through a 3rd party app. If it were unlocked by your carrier then you would've been able to update with no issues.

10. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

not technically true, iPhone 5's can only be IMEI unlocked, it don't matter where you got the unlock from its still done and ran through Apples servers and will therefore be permanent no matter what :)

11. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Its not the jail-break thats causing the crashes.

Its one or more tweaks thats crashing or has memory leaks.

I was in your position recently and decided to update to iOS 6.1.4 ,and am now ready for iOS 7.

What do I miss from all the tweaks I had.
    f.lux
    Nc settings.
    BitsSms

Other than that i'm enjoying longer running times , no safe mode crashes and a much more stable performance.

Will I ever jail-break if one is eventually released after iOS 7 ?

Maybe !

12. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

How about reinstalling that version, jail breaking it again, and watch out what you install from cydia?

13. rizqdan macrumors newbie

rizqdan

Its happened to me too. When I upgrade to iOS 6.1.4 and jailbreak the phone, its crashes and some of my apps like Siri down and my service provider also affected. I have to change the set to a new one. Luckily got the new set for exchange. :D

14. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

He can't if he isn't a developer. iOS 7 is still in Beta and has bugs and crashes - no better than where he is now. He might as well wait until iOS 7 is out, to update it.

15. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Poor advice.. I disagree. Ios 7 is solid. Better battery life than ios 6 for me too

16. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

Regardless what you think - it's still BETA for a reason. There are bugs. I know this for a fact as I have it on my 4s and iPad 2 - and yes, I am a developer.
    Secondly a lot of apps don't work correctly due to..let's se.. oh yes, it's still a BETA OS that they can't use any new API's for,

So please - maybe just think before you post.

17. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

I have it on my 4S as well and it's solid. Way more solid than what the op is experiencing..
    And what apps don't work due to it not being able to use any API??
    List them.
    And what app do you make?
    Also, you don't need to be a developer to get ios 7 right now.

18. pmontanarella macrumors 6502

You do need to be a developer to get iOS 7 legally.