Should i update to Lion now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shitoyama, Sep 20, 2011.

1. shitoyama macrumors member

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

up to you.

If you're worried about any known issues, it might be handy if you can mention which MBP you own and which OS version you're currently using.

3. shitoyama thread starter macrumors member

i own a macbook pro 15"(just bought one week ago),i am currently using version 10.6.8

4. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Make sure all the applications that are useful to you are properly supporting Lion (especially, beware of older apps developed for PowerPC that require Rosetta because those won't work at all).
    Re. the specific model of Mac hardware, I can't say for sure but I believe it will be fine. Recent iMacs seem to have issues but i've read nothing special about recent MBP's.
    As an OS, Lion is absolutely gorgeous and it's only going to improve with time.

5. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Remember to do a proper backup before you do the update. At least you'll have something to fallback to if you find yourself with any regrets.

6. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Personally YES!! :)
    Remember to backup your data just in case.

7. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

make sure if your stuff runs on Lion , and if it does - then there is no reason not to upgrade since Apple made the upgrade so cheap

8. DennyL macrumors newbie

I upgraded to Lion as soon as it was available. I have had a few crashes since, which I think are attributable to Lion. I read, I can't remember where, that there is a problem with autosave function in the new Mac Mail, with the result that one sees the beach ball everywhere and one needs a long press on the on/off button to restart the computer. This has happened to me maybe six times since the upgrade and I know I'm not alone with the problem. (Here's a link:- http://www.davidhurst.co.uk/2011/07/28/mac-mail-constantly-crashes-in-os-x-lion/) I'm not sure it has happened since the upgrade to 10.7.1 so maybe there was something in there to fix it, although I didn't notice a reference to it in the description of the upgrade.

Otherwise I think the upgrade Snow Leopard > Lion is a significant upgrade and worthwhile.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I don't like Lion more or less than Snow Leopard the both have their advantages. Lion seems to use more resources for example right now I'm using 4.13gb of ram with vodafone, safari, mail, firefox, ical, and activity monitor. Snow Leopard would function off far less. I like the new spaces and the full disk encryption.

10. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Personally I wouldn't, but that's because I really dislike Lion and am currently loving 10.6.8: I've been running 10.7 through all of the dev previews, GM, release, and now dev 10.7.2. I've wanted to like it(I really do want to like it and use it), but it's got way too much iOS for my likings, and not just the inverse scrolling and stuff like that, but how menus are, how finder is set-up, just the overall "dumbing down" of it. I also HATE how spaces/expose was implemented, but I will admit that I think the way it is in 10.6.x is as close to perfect as one could expect, and don't want to change.

If I hadn't used SL before I probably would love Lion(because it's not so much that it's terrible), but SL is [imo] perfect(or as close to perfect as you can get, and with all my tweaks and hacks it's more or less perfect).

And SL is pretty light on resources, I have 5.72GB free with Chrome Canary, Postbox(giving it a shot and; $30, but I'm liking it a lot. It's set up a lot like Mail in Lion, and the Mail app is something they got very right in 10.7), iCal, iTunes, Word, Preview, as well as numerous background apps, hacks, and tweaks.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

LOL mail is what I don't like about Lion, I can't stand the conversation view..I'm in classic view..

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I agree on it being a choice thing. When I first migrated I hated the way that they implemented mission control and removed spaces. I felt so lost, as I relied on my spaces. I finally just bit the bullet and went to all out and removed my spaces (except for one, so that I can quickly move to an uncluttered desktop with the mouse and no need for minimizing and gestures). I found that the one thing I like better about Lion is that the second monitor can keep the same desktop throughout. This means that the work remains on the big screen no matter what I am doing on the secondary, in this case, laptop screen. It has actually made me more productive.

13. DennyL macrumors newbie

If you don't like the new 'natural' scrolling you can uncheck it in Trackpad Preferences and revert to the old way.

I have a friend who is still on Tiger, and I wouldn't want to be stuck on an old version like that because many things we now take for granted are missing and because I do think Apple is a competent company who are improving the product.

I do think there may be a case for hanging back and waiting for the initial bug-fixes, but I doubt whether many people who are protesting about Lion will still be on Snow Leopard in five years time!

14. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

Well, this can be answered pretty easily if you answer a different question first: why do I need to upgrade to Lion? If after analyzing the pros and cons for doing so that the pros outweigh the cons for you, then yes, you should, otherwise, no.

15. df2gadgetman macrumors member

df2gadgetman

I would not upgrade to Lion unless you bought a new Mac with Lions already installed.

On my iMAC after I installed Lion, I was experiencing longer start up and shutdown times. It took a whole lot longer to seek information on my SSD. I got frustrated and reverted back to Snow Leopard.

On the other hand, I bought a new 2011 MBP 17" and it already has the new Lions installed. I don't have any complaints and got used to the new OS. It runs quick and the fan speed is silent, 1999rpm.

All the best,

16. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    We need more info.

a) What are the specs on your mbp?
    I'm guessing it is used since you just bought it a week ago with Snow Leopard. If it is less than 2 years old with at least 4gb of RAM I would say you can upgrade without any worries of lag. I just upgraded my 2007 white macbook with 4gb RAM and it has been working fine on lion (maybe slightly slower at times), but it appears to be hit or miss for some people.

b) what software do you plan on using right away?
    make sure none of your software requires PowerPC or has any major known bugs with lion.

c) do you like the features?
    Have you looked into mission control, resume, autosave, launchpad, inverted scrolling, removed scrollbars, and all the other nuances of Lion? Many of these can be turned off, but some not. See which you like more. So far the most annoying thing for me has been mission control, because I don't use spaces or full screen apps. But I can imagine my workflow changing to incorporate these features sometime, then launchpad would be good.

17. kappaknight, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I have an early 2011 MBP and I upgraded to Lion, then reverted back. Too many issues.

Wifi would not work after laptop wakes from sleep - especially if Time Machine was in the middle of a backup previously. Snow Leopard has ZERO issues with this.

Full screen apps are dumb, especially when you have 2 monitors connected and the 2nd monitor just shows a huge gray screen. What a waste.

All the cute iOS-like stuff are pretty pointless. I don't navigate the laptop with a full keyboard and pad like I do an iOS product so why bring on redundant ways of navigation?

For me, the problems outweighed the benefits. Sure I would like Airdrop and other nice touches but I honestly haven't used it so I don't miss it. (Even when I had Lion installed.)

For me, I am much more productive on Snow Leopard, an OS that's been tested over time. Debugging Lion and submitting crash reports is not my part-time job and unless you're in the beta program, I wouldn't recommend it as yours either.

18. B.LI macrumors regular

I've downloaded lion at the release day the 2nd week I purchased my mbp, so I can't exactly compare them due to lack of experience. but I'm having no issues with lion so far

19. lc25 macrumors 6502

Lion is running well here, i didn't like the mail upgrade at first but since i upgraded my iMac/2 macboks/macbook pro and i use my iPad and iPhone a lot it now makes sense and i am glad i did.

20. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

I have an 15" MBP 8,2 (8Gb/750Gb/2.3GHz/HiRes/Anti-glare) bought on 9/9/2011 - similarly mine was loaded with 10.6.8 - I upgraded to Lion on Saturday via the App Store and then upgraded to 10.7.1 the next day - it's running well.