Should I update to Lion on my new Base 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clutchm3, Aug 13, 2011.

1. clutchm3 macrumors regular

clutchm3

Hey guys ordered my mother a 13" MBP i5 from amazon but it came with Snow Leopard which I believe is fine but the fact that she is eligible for the "Up-to date" program download makes me wonder if I should download and install it.

I have lurked the forums a bit and seen people saying negative things about Lion so thought I would just straight out ask it. Should I be updating it to Lion right now or wait till some bugs are fixed?

What exactly are the problems people are having with updating it to lion? :eek:

THANK YOU!

2. willmiz, Aug 13, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2011

willmiz macrumors member

I have the same exact model MBP and I ended up downgrading back to snow leopard. Way too many small issues they need to iron out first. Useable, but not as smooth as SL at this point.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

i like lion a lot, and look forward to downloading it someday, but not yet. i don't have time to screw around with it if there are hiccups, and snow leopard is finally running perfectly (they ironed out little stuff a couple of updates ago).

see the numerous posts about lion problems throughout the forums if you want details. i suppose people fall into two camps: ones with genuine bugs (things that don't work like they should) and ones who dislike lion (things don't work like they want them to). wait until the end of your 30 day free upgrade period. by then, hopefully you will see fewer people on the forums in the first category.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

5. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

Alright well what I am worried about is the 30 day free upgrade period. I do not want to lose that. When will 10.7.1 be coming out?

6. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

OP what you do is use the 30 day trial download the file, don't install it, open package contents and burn the dmg on a thumb drive. use it whenever you want and upgrade to the 10.7.1 or whatever you want eventually.

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

10.7.2 isn't any better, I honestly feel that apple took a step(or seven) backward with 10.7. It should be called OS X Vista, while 10.6.8 is rock solid.

8. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Once you use the code and download it - you can download it whenever should you want to also.. you don't even have to complete the initial download - claim it.. cancel the dl, dl it later whenever you are ready..

and I agree - don't do it yet, it needs some tlc to stop sucking in certain areas.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

+1

What he said.

10. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

I am a super computer noob here but I kind of understand what you are saying. When you get the free code and download from appstore it doesn't automatically install? The file stays on your comp/desktop and I am to burn the DMG file onto my thumb drive. Is there a program to do this?

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

If it's your only computer or one you wish to use regularly I would avoid 10.7.0 at all costs. Be smart & wait until there's at least one update to 10.7.1 or even better wait for 10.7.2. By then it will be well debugged and worth using without having to put up with bugs or worse.

12. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

i personally think its fine... but maybe its just me, it decreases battery life a bit but also provides many new and intuitive features.

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

There isn't going to be a 10.7.1, Apple skipped to 10.7.2; which I already installed on my Lion partition, and yet again was let down. Even with my expectations as low as they were, "Lion" still fell short.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

10.7.1 is an internal only bug fix release. 10.7.2 is the version designed to support iCloud and some early developer builds have been released to developers.

I'm unaware of any other OSX release that skipped the .1 release - were there any?

15. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

Alright so I have done some research and do not know which one of these techniques to use to backup lion on a thumb drive. The links I have seen include...

http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

http://subrosasoft.com/blog/2011/07/create-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-flash-drive/

and http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

Which one of these would I go with to make the Lion CD Key and do a CLEAN install of it without having to install snow leopard?

16. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Snow Leopard is already installed and since you don't need a bootable drive, the only thing you need is save the damn Lion dmg somewhere like a thumb drive, external hdd or just let it sit somewhere on the internal hdd if you don't need the space. Until Lion is mature enough to be called Windows Vista SP1 or SP2.

17. tekkietekkie macrumors member

this one works perfectly I did a USB key and a CD from it and both worked http://blog.gete.net/lion-diskmaker-us/

as long as you go and register to get lion it will be in your app store account and you can download it later anyway

I have the same laptop and really the only problem I have with lion is the WIFI slowness / disconnects which are beyond annoying

18. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Do you have an ipod or an ipad? If so and you use it frequently Id totally get lion. I say that becasue the scrolling in lion is like that of an ipad or ipod and feels so natural. I got lion on my first mac and it seems so natural. The reverse scrolling, and the gestures and ESPECIALLY the full screen apps make it worth it. I think the people who are hating on lion are just really set in their ways with SL

19. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

That'll be a first for Apple to skip seeding a release so I doubt 10.7.1 will just be "thrown" into the wild like that.

7.2 is supposed to be pretty much iCloud specific so that it doesn't clash with all the general fixes in 7.1. It almost sounds like Apple has 2 teams of coders working on each version.

Still don't know how developers "downgrade" when the time comes to seed 7.1 though.

Confusing indeed. :confused:

20. Kafka macrumors 6502

Do it!
    Fullscreen apps is great and will make you forget the screen's lower resolution.
    Very few bugs for me, battery life is just a bit worse but nothing terrible.
    Just for the fullscreen thing, I'd never go back to SL.

21. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

Kind of funny how going Full Screen is revolutionary for Mac while Windows has had it forever don't ya think? ;):p Still I agree

22. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

I have the exact same machine and I say go for it! I read all over about how people don't like Lion, but it seems to mostly be people who have been using SL and have individual apps that have issues with Lion. I went ahead and updated my new 13" MBP to Lion the day it came out because I wanted to do the update before I downloaded and installed a bunch of apps and got used to using SL. It works like a charm for me!

23. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I posted the answer but it seems to be skipped. So once again, redeem code. Cancel download. Install after an update comes later. No need to hassle with anything. Once it is redeemed you can get it wherever.

24. clutchm3 thread starter macrumors regular

clutchm3

Kk ty for the help :D

25. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Lion runs beautifully on my 13" MBP, and I really love it. Yes, it has it's little bugs, which is to be expected with a new release, but overall it's excellent.

The question here really is more about your mom. Is she technically savvy? Is this her first Mac?

If she's not tech savvy (as many of our Moms aren't) and especially if this is her first Mac, you SHOULD upgrade to Lion.

You don't want her to get used to using SL and then change everything on her in a month or two. If she's already using SL on another Mac, then this is irrelevant.

The average user will not have an issue with the handful of bugs that are present in Lion.

The people who aren't liking Lion dislike it for a few reasons:

1. It doesn't work with the software they currently run, usually pro apps. This has nothing to do with Lion and everything to do with them not doing the appropriate research before switching. Pro Apps are rarely compatible with new OS software releases, this should be common sense for computer users in 2011.

2. They don't have trackpads. Everything about Lion is based on multitouch gestures. Apple has invested heavily in the concept of multitouch gestures, and they are the future of this platform, there is no way around that and in my opinion it's an awesome move.

3. It's different from Snow Leopard. Yeah, that's right, they don't like the new OS because it isn't just like the old OS. Why this is a surprise, I can't figure out. You can't please everybody.

4. Some people just like to whine and complain. The thing could spit gold coins out when you hit the space bar and somebody would gripe about it.

Long story short, if your Mom is an average user and isn't embedded in Snow Leopard already, then switching to Lion now is ideal. This way she can learn it straight away and not have to struggle with a change down the road.

If she does use SL already, then just ask her what she wants to do. Tell her it's free now, or $29.99 later. If she's very comfortable in SL or uses Apps that may not be compatible yet, it may be worth the thirty bucks to wait.

----------

It's a different kind of full-screen in Lion as compared to Windows. The stated concept is you get to maximize the screen real estate, but the real benefit is that the full screen app becomes its own "space" or "desktop". A quick three finger swipe (left or right) on the trackpad and you're moving between multiple multi-tasking apps and desktops. On a 13" laptop this is awesome.