Should I Update

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Peppe, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Peppe macrumors newbie

Hi all

I currently have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS on 3.1.3.
    is it worth updating to 4.x.x?

I've searched but can only find inconclusive answers.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages to updating?
    What am i missing out on?

Sorry for all the Q's I'm just confussed

Pep

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Does your 3GS have the old or new bootrom? Do you have SHSH files saved for 4.0 or 4.1?

3. draz macrumors 6502a

Are you happy with 3.1.3?

Do you want:
    -Apple's version of Multi-tasking (prob not if you have Backgrounder)
    -Threaded Mail
    -iTunes Playlist creation
    -iBooks
    -Game Center (?)
    -Spotlight (hell no)
    -Spell Check updates
    -Homescreen wallpaper (prob not since you are jailbroken)

I might of missed a few things... but otherwise stick to 3.1.3 if you are happy with it. Some iTunes App Store apps though might require iOS 4, so just a heads up.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

you're missing out on the multi tasking and folders organizing of apps.

5. ckong macrumors regular

If you'd like to update, I'd recommend you research the Cydia apps that you own first to see if they will work on 4.x. Here's a link that's not completely up-to-date but will get you started:

http://z6joker9.com/wiki/index.php/Cydia_App_Status

I have a 3Gs that used to have 3.1.2 with Fake 3.1.3. I upgraded to 4.1 and roughly guess I had about a 85% compatibility rate with all my MobileSubstrate add-ons. I've replaced one or two with 4.x specific add-ons, while completely abandoning others (ProSwitcher replaced with Multiflow, Iconoclasm replaced with Gridlock, abandoned Backgrounder, abandoned iKeyEx, etc).

I'm now pretty happy with 4.1. The multitask/suspend functionality works great (clock software for background alarms, location software like the App Store $5 "Device Locator"), native folders works fairly well with $0.99 FolderEnhancer and free MultiIconMover combo (even though I have Categories w/ CategoriesSB still installed for "Recent" folder). The built-in Rotation lock with iPod controls was an unexpected bonus (double tap home-button, then swipe to the left).

Bottom line...you really don't need to update if you're happy with 3.1.3. If don't mind some compatibility pain and you'd like to get the new features, then upgrade to 4.1.

6. Peppe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I'm fairly happy with 3.1.3. But just worked out that I can get
    things like VLC player without 3.2 and up.

Sorry but I don't know how to save SHSH or wat that is, but I'm trying to learn:eek:

I've also read that on windows I can hold the shift key whole clicking the update button
    to choose an update version. Is that correct?

Pep