Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonytek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Hi all,

So I am looking for some advice. I currently have a 2014 MBP 13" 3 GHz Intel Core i7 with 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.

I am a software engineer that runs bootcamp windows and have found that my CPU sits around 100% when I am compiling and it has begun to take it's toll on my output so looking at upgrading. I am looking at the top of the range latest 15" MBP 6 core 2.9GHz i9 with 32GB 2400MHz DDR4 memory.

My question is how big will the difference be? Is it worth the money?

Thanks in advance.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My question is how big will the difference be? Is it worth the money?
Yes, you have a full 6 cores with the 15" MBP.

Do you need 32GB of ram? Most people who opt for it really don't, though they choose that "just to be safe" but given the pace of software innovation, its clear 32GB is not something that is needed now or in the future for most usages.

jonytek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Do you need 32GB of ram? Most people who opt for it really don't, though they choose that "just to be safe" but given the pace of software innovation, its clear 32GB is not something that is needed now or in the future for most usages.

To be honest I don't think that I do (currently) as the limits on my current machine are around the CPU maxing out and not the memory. Like you say though it would be good to do my best at future-proofing it as I do tend to only upgrade every 5 years. Maybe I should consider leaving the RAM at 16GB.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Like you say though it would be good to do my best at future-proofing
No you missed my point. Its not needed even for future proofing. We had to deal with ram updates going from one CPU generation to another, 16bit, to 32bit, to 64bit. Most software today will not need 32GB of ram tomorrow, next month or next year. Why spend money on a component that really won't be used.

jonytek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Would it be worth considering the top of the range 13"? It's only quad core but runs at 4.5GHz

jonytek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Lol. It is a fair point but the price difference is minimal when you get into the top end windows machines and I have found in the past that Macs tend to last longer.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have used both MacBooks and windows laptops for years. I haven't found one to lay any longer than the other. I'm not a power user do that may explain it

Love the look and specs of the new MacBooks, I just can't afford the cost.

jonytek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2018
Love the look and specs of the new MacBooks, I just can't afford the cost.

The prices are crazy which is why I want to be sure I am making the right decision. I do use it daily for work but still it's a serious hit to the bank account.

My last windows machine was not a top spec which is maybe why it didn't last but as you say, the new macs look great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.