Should I upgrade from 2010 model to early 2011 model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noojin, Oct 31, 2011.

  1. Noojin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #1
    Hello everyone,

    I was offered to purchase the early 2011 model of the macbook pro. However, is it that much of a change to upgrade for 800 dollars? The difference that I saw between both is Lion and it seemed much faster than my 2010 model. However, the 2011 model does not have apple care like mine. Should I sell my 2010 model for a reasonable price and then purchase the model?
     
  2. warvanov macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    #2
    You'll have to tell us more about what size MBP we're talking about, what the specs are, etc.

    From what you've said so far, $800 seems like a pretty high investment for not a major upgrade. Unless your current MBP is not able to handle the day to day computing that you're throwing at it then I say you should wait for the next major refresh from Apple with the Ivy Bridge intel processors next year.
     
  3. Noojin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2010
    #3
    Understood.

    My specs:
    13" MacBook Pro- 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, NVIDIA GeForce 320M, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB hard drive

    2011 model:
    13" 1280x800 Display. 2.3GHz Dual i5. 4GB RAM. 320GB HD. Intel HD Graphics.

    I would only do the offer if I am able to sell my current macbook pro. I am not sure how big of a difference graphics card would play for me. I don't really game at all on my macbook. It is mainly used for school purposes. But I am just not sure if it is worth to try and sell my macbook for a slightly newer model.
     
  4. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2011
    #4
    What is your current MBP failing to do for you that requires you to get rid of it?

    If this is just something frivolous like "new model" envy based on some emotional need to have the latest then nobody can give you any reasons one way or another.
     
  5. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

    WAM2

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2011
    Location:
    United States
    #5
    keep yours! Nvidia chipset ftw
     
  6. Spadoinkles macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 5, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #6
    If the longevity of my Late-06 Whitebook is anything to talk about (30FPS in CS1.6 at medium, running 2 OSes at once, getting heavy PS/AE thrown at it among the daily bash)... any 2010 MBP would easily last you till the world ends (or the day we laugh at all the scientists for being wrong and trying to be God)
     
  7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2011
    #7
    Since you use your 2010 13" MBP mainly for school purposes the MBP you have is fine.
     
  8. Mersailios macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2011
    #8
    For the tasks that you are looking to do I would simply recommend keeping the MacBook Pro that you have now. Your computer is still very capable, and if need be down the road you can always upgrade the hard disk for increased storage capacity and add more memory as well, which would be cheaper than buying a new computer.

    The $800 price difference simply wouldn't be worth it for you at this point, and you'd also have to look at the cost of AppleCare on the new unit which starts to take you into the $1,000 price point.

    Hope that helps, have a great day. :)
     
  9. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

    AppleFanatic10

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2010
    Location:
    Encino, CA
    #9
    Being honest, I don't think that's a good deal at all. Plus the apple care would be the deal breaker for me. Just keep your current macbook pro. You can upgrade it along the way.
     
  10. heyloo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2006
    Location:
    NY
    #10
    I'd say keep your MBP for now. It's always 'nice' to upgrade to the latest and the greatest, but I can hardly justify the $800 + AppleCare + having to go through the trouble of selling your current MacBook at a certain price to keep the $800 price point. Not worth the trouble, IMO, and the 2010 MBP should be zipping fast 'enough'. :)

    New MBPs should be showing up sometime in 2012, so I'd say you keep your MBP and decide if you want to make the switch then. If you're wondering if your MBP will ever be 'too slow', my 2006 Black MacBook 1,1 lasted me 5 years and was still in great shape and was able to do pretty much everything that I needed/wanted to do. :) You probably(?) wanted to hear something alongside 'Make the jump now!' but well...think about putting your $800 'towards' a better and newer MacBook Pro in the coming year or so ;)
     

Share This Page