Should I upgrade from a 3GS to a iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 12, 2010.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

The past few days I was set on selling my 32 GB 3GS and buying an iPhone 4. I would try to sell it for $389, and then buy a 16 GB (don't need extra space) for $450 (tax + upgrade fee), about a $50 net loss. Realistically, the only feature that I'll really cherish is the camera; it would replace my 5MP Digital Camera and be my first HD recorder. I don't mind waiting till next year to get even more features from the next iPhone, but would I be able to sell a 2 year old 32GB 3GS (on craigslist, I don't want to mess with eBay) for around say $250 next year?

I'm facing some competition now in my area, but would it be more economical to try and sell my 3GS for $370-$390 and buy the iPhone 4 (and probably sell it next year..), or sell my 3GS next year (which I'm pondering if it's possible). The key fact is that I have to usually pay the $200 early upgrade fee, and I risk having to pay even more money NEXT year if I can't manage to sell my 3GS next year (having to pay $200-300 for the next iPhone).. What do you guys think?

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

There are a few "should I buy the iPhone 4" threads. The major consensus is...

"It's up to you."

3. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

4. notblackmac macrumors regular

notblackmac

Well.. you answered your own question.. You should just go ahead and upgrade to iphone 4. I asked a similar question on the forums here at macrumors, and the response I got really changed my view. You said that the camera would come in handy. So get it.

5. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

My major question was if you guys thought that the iPhone 3GS would be able to sell for even $250 next year. If it is, then I can just wait for next year's iPhone. I'm trying to see where I'd lose more money, and it really depends on how much I can sell it for now. If I sell it for $370, buy the 16 GB iPhone 4 for $440. Depending if I can even sell my 3GS next year for $250, I could get the lower gig version for $200 and the higher gig for $300. Hmm, I guess this will all hinge on how many buyers I can get in the next month or so for around that price ($389 for a 32 GB 3GS, hope it's not too much to ask for!)..

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Probably not.
    It will got for around $300 up or down depending on the condition right now.
    In a year it will drop lower as the 3GS gets older and more 3GS models are sold for $99 and $97 with contract.

7. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Well people buy phones on craigslist NOW b/c they don't want the contracts, and I think the 3GS models are supposed to go to to $99 once iPhone 4 comes out anyways..

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

8GB models are, yes. But they are not available yet

9. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

Wait till its safe I heard that due new bigger battery it can blew up very easily at higher temp, and now it's even more dangerous because both sides made from glass. It's also depends where you leave and your climate. I sugest you to wait and see if it's safe.

Good luck, stay safe

10. euphrus macrumors member

keep what you have and just wait till next year

11. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't think I've ever seen such an irrelevant comment on Macrumors ever.. congrats on being the one I'll not compare further ones too!

Like I said, it'll all hinge on how much I can sell the 3GS for, I don't mind getting it if I can sell it for close to $400, otherwise I think I'll live if I don't have a brand new camera on my iPhone for the next year...

12. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I understand what you're saying my friend... but honestly, it's still up to you. If you 3G is in absolutely pristine condition you will probably get $300 for it next year. Other than that, it may just be worth it to you to get the new phone. :D Again, it's all up to you! You gotta weigh the options.

13. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I was being sarcastic ;) ... dosent matter what others says, you'll do what you want. Its up to you... if you like it get it, new technology and revisions always better.

I sold mine 3Gs 16Gb for $340 now they go for around $300 depending on conditions. Dont forget shipping, eBay and PayPal fees ... hate them.

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

What? Is this English or are you speaking in code?

To come onto a forum and ask people how you should spend YOUR money is silly. You're not the only silly one so don't worry, but we (mr members) are not a good judge on what YOU should do. If your only question was "can I sell my 3gs for $250 next year?"..... how can any one on this forum tell you that? My crystal ball stopped working so no gazing into it for the future for me. If I had to guess I would say prob not.

15. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Don't buy it. Less competition for the rest of us on release day. :D

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

+1,000

17. John T macrumors 68020

John T

It's only up to you!

It's about time you learned to make your own decisions. That way, if it does go wrong you've only got yourself to blame! ;)

18. D4F Guest

D4F

Just buy it. You have put so much math into this that it would be a awful waste of time if you wouldn't.

On a side note I always wonder why people want to pay extra for stuff like a camera in a phone. If you're into photos and video then get a dedicated device that will give you what you're looking for.
    Good camera needs a bit more then px count and I seen lower res devices with optics that surpassed much greater px setups in terms of pic quality.

19. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

I have the perfect system for making up your mind. It works 100% of the time and it's always right. Take a coin out of your pocket. Decide what you will do if you get "heads", decide what you will do if you get "tails". Flip the coin. Do what comes up. Problem solved.

20. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

I would sell it this year. Competition may be tough right now but just try to get a feel for what the market will bear. I live in San Francisco and there's a ton of people selling theirs right now but I was still able to sell my 16GB 3GS for $350. Last year I sold my 16GB 3G for $375.

Just slowly try reducing your sale price and see where you start getting more e-mails. Also maybe describe the condition of your device to separate it from every other ad out there. Also, weekends are better for CL posting as more people tend to browse it, IMHO.

Good luck!

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Keep your 3Gs, relax & enjoy it.

Really _need_ a better camera? There are tons of great ones out there that are small, light, & come without a 2 yr contract. I know I have one... :)

22. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I sold my 32GB 3GS for 405 and i sold my wife's 16GB 2GS for 365 so they are selling now