Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

witchkitten

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
I need some advice. I was all set to upgrade my Apple TV (3rd generation) to the Apple TV 4K once Amazon Prime was released because I assumed that the Prime Video app would not be available for the 3rd generation Apple TV. As soon as Prime Video was released I found one of the last 64 gb Apple TV 4Ks in my area and got it (I know I don't need 64 GB but it was only $20 more and I wanted to future proof the device). That same day the Prime Video app appeared on my 3rd generation Apple TV and now I'm not sure if I should keep the Apple TV 4K or return it and save myself the money. I don't have a 4K television and we mostly use the TV for animated kids shows and movies. I rarely watch adult TV shows anymore and when I do I almost always watch them on my computer with headphones on so as not to disturb my children's sleep. I want to know if others think the new features of TV OS are worth the upgrade for someone in my position. Thanks in advance.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Functionally, the ATV3 sounds like it meets your needs. But, ATV3 is no longer sold, so updates will probably end in a few years (3-5). If you are ok with what if offers now, keep it and wait on upgrading, no doubt ATV next will add some nice features.

There are more apps available for the ATV4 and 4K, many more. Since you already have it, use it, search the app store and see if there are any gotta-haves, that will probably be the determining factor. If you don't find things you can't live without, return it within 30 days.

A quick rundown of +/- for the models are:

ATV3:
+ Optical Audio, 1080p
- Limited apps, 100mbps Ethernet, 1080p (not 4K), limited lifetime (3-5 years for new apps, 10+ years useful life).

ATV4:
+ App Store (1000s of apps), 1080p
- No Optical Audio, 100 Mbps Ethernet, 1080p (not 4K).

ATV4K (Same as ATV4 except as follows):
+ 4K video, 1Gbps Ethernet
- No Optical Audio

Reactions: witchkitten

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
I need some advice. I was all set to upgrade my Apple TV (3rd generation) to the Apple TV 4K once Amazon Prime was released because I assumed that the Prime Video app would not be available for the 3rd generation Apple TV. As soon as Prime Video was released I found one of the last 64 gb Apple TV 4Ks in my area and got it (I know I don't need 64 GB but it was only $20 more and I wanted to future proof the device). That same day the Prime Video app appeared on my 3rd generation Apple TV and now I'm not sure if I should keep the Apple TV 4K or return it and save myself the money. I don't have a 4K television and we mostly use the TV for animated kids shows and movies. I rarely watch adult TV shows anymore and when I do I almost always watch them on my computer with headphones on so as not to disturb my children's sleep. I want to know if others think the new features of TV OS are worth the upgrade for someone in my position. Thanks in advance.

Prime is available for 3rd gen

I just had to hide it in MENU.

I always hide apps i don't need on Home screen for a device here, so was surprised to see it popup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.