Should I upgrade from my iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ChemMan12, Dec 27, 2014.

1. ChemMan12 macrumors newbie

I have the 16 GB iPhone 5 from Straight talk (bought from their website). It is in SUPER condition although used constantly for almost 2 years. I am confident I could private sell it for $100, which I could use for a new one. The only thing that makes me hesitate is wondering if the 6S in September would be worth the wait. If so, will I still be able to get $100 from a 3 generation old phone?

I heard it will have a truly upgraded camera, and iPhone is my primary camera.

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Surprised you couldn't get more than that for your old one, but I suppose it depends on where you are. I sold my day-one iphone 5 (very near mint with all original boxed accessories) for almost exactly half its original cost, a week after my day-one iphone 6 arrived two years later. Unlocked phones, of course.

3. se95dah macrumors member

I also use the iPhone as my primary camera and in my opinion the upgrade from the 5 camera to the 6 is huge. The 6 really locks focus quickly and accurately and I am getting much better results both in sunlight and indoors. Shooting video the difference is even bigger - the 6 does an amazing job of removing camera shake when shooting handheld. I don't have any strong preference between the screen size of the 5 and 6 (I can do more on the 6, but love the one handed usability of the 5), but the camera is a big differentiator for the 6.

Drop into an Apple Store and play with the camera on the 6 - I think you'll be impressed.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

have you tried asking straight talk to unlock it?

i believe they require a device purchased since 1/1/2014 and 12 months of service, though

i think its worth 180-240

TracFone Wireless, Inc. Unlocking Policy
    If you bought a new wireless phone from TracFone Wireless, Inc. (“TracFone”), including any new TracFone, NET10, Straight Talk or Telcel America branded wireless phone (“device”), it may have been programmed with a lock that prevents it from operating with other compatible wireless services. TracFone will facilitate unlocking your device upon request provided that you have met the requirements set forth below:
    General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking TracFone Mobile Devices
    TracFone will facilitate the unlocking of a TracFone device under the following circumstances:

The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:
    a current TracFone customer who provides the IMEI/MEID serial number of the device
    a former TracFone customer who provides the IMEI/MEID serial number of the device
    The TracFone device was first introduced for sale on or after January 1, 2014.
    The TracFone device has been in service for at least 12 months with paid, verifiable airtime.
    The TracFone device has not been reported lost or stolen.
    The TracFone device is deemed by TracFone to be capable of being unlocked.