Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Hi,

I'm hoping you can help address some lingering questions about a possible iPhone upgrade. Mostly, I don't really understand the concept of an "unlocked" phone and I can't seem to find answers to my specific situation. Background:
  • Live in USA
  • AT&T Wireless Customer
  • iPhone 5S; purchased on a two-year AT&T contract that ends 12/8/2015
  • Looking to buy an iPhone 6S Plus
  • For now, plan to stick with AT&T after contract ends, but want the ability to move to another carrier if/when I want
  • Consequently, looking to get out of contracts, once and for all, and to separate my phone purchase from my carrier provider payment
  • May be interested in iPhone Upgrade Program or may buy outright...not sure yet

Questions:

1. If I purchase an iPhone outright, once I receive it can I take the SIM card out of my iPhone 5S and just stick into my iPhone 6S Plus, or is there more to it than that? Do I have to get in touch with AT&T for any reason, such as to "activate" the new 6S Plus? Do I have to do anything to the new iPhone besides put in the new SIM and turn on the new phone?

2. Since I would then be using a 6S Plus while finishing out an existing 2-year contract, does this mean my 6S Plus would be locked to the carrier (AT&T)? Does it automatically unlock when the contract ends?

3. By default, if I purchase the phone outright at full price, is it always unlocked, even if I select "AT&T" as my provider during the purchase process on Apple.com? Does it "lock" to AT&T once I stick my current AT&T SIM card in it? If I switched carriers, would I have to contact AT&T to request the switch?

4. What "kind" of purchase do I make on Apple.com to make sure I'm getting an unlocked iPhone? Do I just select my current provider (AT&T) and pay full price for the phone? Or, do I select the no-contract T-Mobile iPhone option and then swap SIMs when I get it?

5. Where is the option to use the iPhone Upgrade Program? I don't see it anywhere (see screenshot below), even if I continue on to the next couple of order pages. It seems my only options are to purchase it outright, or do the AT&T Next program. Is the iPhone Upgrade Program only available to buyers who are not currently in-contract? Maybe that's why I am not seeing it on my order screen.

TIA for any help you can provide!

Scott

Pd4N92A.png

Alhadee12

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
When purchasing the phone you should select Preoder, iPhone 6s Plus, Color, Storage, then Buy a contract free phone and it should bring up T-Mobile. I believe that will be the unlocked version. Contact Apple to be sure, but that's what I saw on the Apple Store app. It will list payment options at the bottom.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
Thanks to both of you for your helpful replies. I think I'm leaning towards using the iPhone Upgrade Program. However, I still don't see that as an option, so I'm guessing it's due to my still being in-contract. I'll likely wait this out, until 12/8, when I am off-contract, and then try again.

Thanks!

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Hi,

I'm hoping you can help address some lingering questions about a possible iPhone upgrade. Mostly, I don't really understand the concept of an "unlocked" phone and I can't seem to find answers to my specific situation. Background:
  • Live in USA
  • AT&T Wireless Customer
  • iPhone 5S; purchased on a two-year AT&T contract that ends 12/8/2015
  • Looking to buy an iPhone 6S Plus
  • For now, plan to stick with AT&T after contract ends, but want the ability to move to another carrier if/when I want
  • Consequently, looking to get out of contracts, once and for all, and to separate my phone purchase from my carrier provider payment
  • May be interested in iPhone Upgrade Program or may buy outright...not sure yet

Questions:

1. If I purchase an iPhone outright, once I receive it can I take the SIM card out of my iPhone 5S and just stick into my iPhone 6S Plus, or is there more to it than that? Do I have to get in touch with AT&T for any reason, such as to "activate" the new 6S Plus? Do I have to do anything to the new iPhone besides put in the new SIM and turn on the new phone?

2. Since I would then be using a 6S Plus while finishing out an existing 2-year contract, does this mean my 6S Plus would be locked to the carrier (AT&T)? Does it automatically unlock when the contract ends?

3. By default, if I purchase the phone outright at full price, is it always unlocked, even if I select "AT&T" as my provider during the purchase process on Apple.com? Does it "lock" to AT&T once I stick my current AT&T SIM card in it? If I switched carriers, would I have to contact AT&T to request the switch?

4. What "kind" of purchase do I make on Apple.com to make sure I'm getting an unlocked iPhone? Do I just select my current provider (AT&T) and pay full price for the phone? Or, do I select the no-contract T-Mobile iPhone option and then swap SIMs when I get it?

5. Where is the option to use the iPhone Upgrade Program? I don't see it anywhere (see screenshot below), even if I continue on to the next couple of order pages. It seems my only options are to purchase it outright, or do the AT&T Next program. Is the iPhone Upgrade Program only available to buyers who are not currently in-contract? Maybe that's why I am not seeing it on my order screen.

TIA for any help you can provide!

Scott

1. I believe both use nano-sim so you could swap them, but if you order from Apple (and select ATT) it will just come with a SIM and automatically connect to you new account.

2. Locked to the carrier, yes, but once the contract is up just call ATT and they will unlock.

3. See answer 2.

4. I would make the ATT purchase, then see answer 2.

5. The iPhone Upgrade program is at the very bottom, you just click "Reserve to buy in store", select your store and see if they have what you want in stock.

Hope that was all helpful.

ScottC7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Orbiting Planet Apple
1. I believe both use nano-sim so you could swap them, but if you order from Apple (and select ATT) it will just come with a SIM and automatically connect to you new account.

2. Locked to the carrier, yes, but once the contract is up just call ATT and they will unlock.

3. See answer 2.

4. I would make the ATT purchase, then see answer 2.

5. The iPhone Upgrade program is at the very bottom, you just click "Reserve to buy in store", select your store and see if they have what you want in stock.

Hope that was all helpful.
Thanks 16paws. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.