Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Should I upgrade iPads?

tswhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Atlanta
My new pro 9.7 is being delivered today. I'm an array of emotions and already feeling a little buyers remorse. I have the original Air and it's in tip top condition. Im wondering if I such refuse the package and stick to my Air 1.

I can't find any comparisons to the Air1 and Pro9.7 online ( all the comparisons are for the 2). Any advice??? Is the Pro really a big upgrade?

sjleworthy

macrumors 65832
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
just look at the Air2 and Pro comparisons, then compare the Air 1 and 2 comparisons. should give you a pretty good idea of where and how the Pro is better than the Air 1. (isn't that a fairly obvious course of action, or am i missing something?)

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Upgraded from the Air1 and did not regret it. Its better in every single way. I use it way more because of absence of lack of ram that cripples the air1.

Reactions: tswhite

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
I traded up from an iPad Air 2 to a IPP9.7 and haven't looked back. The screen is much better: a lot less glare, brighter, better color gamut and true tone is great! Also, the speakers are excellent for movies or music. Speed is faster but not by much under normal use. I'm sure you would see the speed increase when editing 4K video using iMovie, but I haven't personally done that yet?

sigomez

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Houston, TX
I think you should upgrade...I recently went from an iPad Air 1 to an iPad Pro and was surprised at how much faster and responsive the pro is.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Texas
It's not a huge jump in many respects from the Air 2, but from the first Air, it's a pretty massive upgrade. As the others have said, try it out for a few days first, you'll find it's far more capable than what you currently have.

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Upgraded from the Air 2, no regrets.

I did however buy the Pencil and Smart Keyboard as well, which has a lot to do with my enjoyment of the device.

ACG12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2015
At this point in time, I dislike using any IOS device with less than 2gb of RAM. Everything on the Pro 9.7 is quite a big upgrade imo.

Mad4clay

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Minnesota
I just today ordered the iPad Pro 9.7 and I'm excited to get it. I currently have the Air 2 and have been very happy with it and I carry it with me everyday. I'm selling my Air 2 on Ebay as I type this. My daughter got hers on Monday and she loves it. She had the ipad mini 3 so it's a big jump for her. She said, mom you have to get it, it's awesome. So I did it. Had to order online as no one within 80 miles had the one I wanted, which was the Rose Gold 128g. My Air 2 is 64, couldn't see going down to 32 from 64.

tswhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Atlanta
I got the pro on yesterday. So good so far! Thanks for the awesome replies. There is a difference in speed and the transfer was so simple .
[doublepost=1464871086][/doublepost]
I upgrade always. I buy used or heavily discounted items with a clear idea of reselling. The cost difference is factored in, and for me this difference is by far worth the pleasure of purchase.... regardless of needing it :D
I gotta many replies from buyers about the Air1 from Craigslist. Problem , is I'm a little attached to it lol

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
If you are thinking about it/ regretting it - then you don't need a "new" iPad. You may "want" one for gratification. If I were you, I'd run the iPad Air into the ground before buying another device. That is what I am doing with my iPad 3.

tswhite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2015
Atlanta
If you are thinking about it/ regretting it - then you don't need a "new" iPad. You may "want" one for gratification. If I were you, I'd run the iPad Air into the ground before buying another device. That is what I am doing with my iPad 3.
This is VERY smart, trying to work on my impulsiveness lol

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I think upgrading from an iPad Air to an iPad Air 2 would have easily been worth it, and Air to Pro is an even bigger upgrade.

Being content with what you have is great and saves you money, which is why I wouldn't really recommend anyone upgrade from an Air 2 to the Pro, but the Air to anything newer is such a significant upgrade in regards to performance that I'd recommend upgrading to anyone who frequently uses their iPad Air.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.