Should I upgrade iPads?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tswhite, May 31, 2016.

1. tswhite macrumors newbie

tswhite

My new pro 9.7 is being delivered today. I'm an array of emotions and already feeling a little buyers remorse. I have the original Air and it's in tip top condition. Im wondering if I such refuse the package and stick to my Air 1.

I can't find any comparisons to the Air1 and Pro9.7 online ( all the comparisons are for the 2). Any advice??? Is the Pro really a big upgrade?

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

just look at the Air2 and Pro comparisons, then compare the Air 1 and 2 comparisons. should give you a pretty good idea of where and how the Pro is better than the Air 1. (isn't that a fairly obvious course of action, or am i missing something?)

3. Capt T macrumors 6502a

You have 2 weeks if you got it from Apple....test it out for yourself, and see what you think.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Take it for a week and then if it doesn't work, return it.

5. Skika macrumors 68030

Upgraded from the Air1 and did not regret it. Its better in every single way. I use it way more because of absence of lack of ram that cripples the air1.

6. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

7. zamboni52 macrumors regular

I traded up from an iPad Air 2 to a IPP9.7 and haven't looked back. The screen is much better: a lot less glare, brighter, better color gamut and true tone is great! Also, the speakers are excellent for movies or music. Speed is faster but not by much under normal use. I'm sure you would see the speed increase when editing 4K video using iMovie, but I haven't personally done that yet?

8. sigomez macrumors regular

I think you should upgrade...I recently went from an iPad Air 1 to an iPad Pro and was surprised at how much faster and responsive the pro is.

9. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

It's not a huge jump in many respects from the Air 2, but from the first Air, it's a pretty massive upgrade. As the others have said, try it out for a few days first, you'll find it's far more capable than what you currently have.

10. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Upgraded from the Air 2, no regrets.

I did however buy the Pencil and Smart Keyboard as well, which has a lot to do with my enjoyment of the device.

11. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

At this point in time, I dislike using any IOS device with less than 2gb of RAM. Everything on the Pro 9.7 is quite a big upgrade imo.

12. Mad4clay macrumors regular

I just today ordered the iPad Pro 9.7 and I'm excited to get it. I currently have the Air 2 and have been very happy with it and I carry it with me everyday. I'm selling my Air 2 on Ebay as I type this. My daughter got hers on Monday and she loves it. She had the ipad mini 3 so it's a big jump for her. She said, mom you have to get it, it's awesome. So I did it. Had to order online as no one within 80 miles had the one I wanted, which was the Rose Gold 128g. My Air 2 is 64, couldn't see going down to 32 from 64.

13. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I agree. While upgrading an Air 2 to a 9.7" Pro is somewhat unnecessary, the same move from an Air 1 is a no-brainer, IMO.

14. Macalway, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

From an iPad Air one, it's a good upgrade.

15. tswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

tswhite

I got the pro on yesterday. So good so far! Thanks for the awesome replies. There is a difference in speed and the transfer was so simple .
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2016 ---
    I gotta many replies from buyers about the Air1 from Craigslist. Problem , is I'm a little attached to it lol

16. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If you are thinking about it/ regretting it - then you don't need a "new" iPad. You may "want" one for gratification. If I were you, I'd run the iPad Air into the ground before buying another device. That is what I am doing with my iPad 3.

17. tswhite thread starter macrumors newbie

tswhite

This is VERY smart, trying to work on my impulsiveness lol

18. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I think upgrading from an iPad Air to an iPad Air 2 would have easily been worth it, and Air to Pro is an even bigger upgrade.

Being content with what you have is great and saves you money, which is why I wouldn't really recommend anyone upgrade from an Air 2 to the Pro, but the Air to anything newer is such a significant upgrade in regards to performance that I'd recommend upgrading to anyone who frequently uses their iPad Air.