Should I upgrade MBP 2013 for 2019 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nepats81, Jul 16, 2019.

1. nepats81 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a late 2013 Retina MBP . Should I upgrade to the new 2019 base model MBP?

Mainly use laptop for watching movies/youtube/web browsing/e-mails and some spreadsheets for work.

Thanks everyone.

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

If everything is working I would wait for the refresh and see what shakes out with the keyboard.

3. c0LdFire macrumors regular

YouTube, web browsing, and basic spreadsheets don’t need a laptop this expensive. Consider the Air or an iPad.

4. nepats81 thread starter macrumors newbie

interesting. i thought the Air was bad for movies and youtube because it didnt get bright enough.

Ipad - i havent used one in a long time. I thought those were just for games and movies. Have they improved?

5. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

Air screen settings were tweaked in an iOS update.
    iPad OS is coming out and is a pretty significant overhaul.

6. sennomulo macrumors member

If you can hold out a few more months, wait. We know there are new MacBooks coming out soon, and we don't know a whole lot about them, but we're hoping they fix the keyboard reliability issues of the current generation.

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

My late 2013 MBP easily handles all of the tasks you list, so I don’t think an upgrade would do much for you, unless your Mac has something going wrong in particular.

8. jerryk, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019

jerryk macrumors 601

iPads have dramatically improved. Apple has has in beta a separate iPadOS which is not burdened with having to support phones. So it is optimized to better support the needs of iPad users and light tasks like word processing, email, spreadsheets, etc. in addition to consumption oriented tasks (watching movies, playing games, etc). Also, it uses fully desktop level browsers, so you are not stuck with mobile versions of websites.

iPadOS added mouse support which makes many tasks very laptop like. Also, the iPads have very fast processors, and the pro models have very fast screen refresh rates (120 Hz)

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Do you have the 13" or the 15" and are you looking to upgrade to the 13" or the 15"?

I had a late 2013 rMBP and recently upgraded to the base 2019 15" model

It's a wonderful computer, but I personally regret it because it's too big. I wish I had stuck with 2013 rMBP.

I honestly didn't see any point in upgrading to the 2019 13" MBP because honestly what I do is fairly basic.

I only upgraded the 15" for more screen real estate

10. nepats81 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 13 and would stay 13.

Sounds like the move is to hold off another year at least. My Late 13 Retina MBP is running a little slow. Battery doesnt last that long but its usable.

I'm a speed demon so something faster is tempting but I'm sure next years will be fast too

11. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Honestly, if you are in a position that you have the money and you want the new one, buy it. They are really good machines. Yes, keyboard updates are around the corner, but the keyboard thing is polarizing in general. If you are ok with the feel, I wouldn't be too concerned about the possibility of it failing; Apple will replace it if it does for the considerable future. If you hate the feel of the keyboard, the maybe waiting would be best.

If you can find yourself a student ID or email address, you can pick up the base for $1200, and that includes a $350 set of headphones. Don't want the headphones? Throw them up on CL or Facebook Marketplace new in box for $200. $1200-$200 = Base MacBook Air.

12. nepats81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn this is a good point.

How fast are the new MBPs? Should i upgrade ram or storage? I prob dont need it but once again...I have a need for speed.

13. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

Check out Geekbench or get on YouTube and look up some reviews of it. It's benching very close to the 2019 4 TB3 13"s, and it beats the 35W CPUs used in the 2016 and 2017 MBP 15". Of course graphical performance is lower than most of the 15" models, but you are coming from a 2013 13" so I don't think that's really a huge concern for you.

There are a couple of downsides to it, like the SSDs and WLAN adapter being slightly gimped, but that's not to say these components aren't still good, they just aren't as good as the 4TB3 counterpart. You'd need to be hitting the WiFi pretty hard to really notice a difference.

Also, my point about the headphones also applies to the MBA. $1000 (with discount) minus whatever you can get for the headphones. But in my honest opinion, unless you just really need that extra battery life, go with the Pro. Size difference is negligible and dual core CPUs are getting long in the tooth.

14. nepats81 thread starter macrumors newbie

This is helpful thank you. I'm goign to check out how fast it is youtube. I have a need for speed baby.