Should i upgrade mountain lion ? 2011 macbook air 13inch i5

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fireworksdesign, Jul 29, 2012.

1. fireworksdesign macrumors member

Hi guys , is there any reason i should upgrade to mountain lion ?

These are some features of ml that has caught my eye but im not sure if its that important

gatekeeper < i download a lot so this is very important

icloud < dont use it

messages < i only use yahoo / msn / and skype = . I think messages doesnt incorporate skype and msn right ? btw right now i use adium and skype

notification center < is this another fancy gimmick or is it really useful ?

safari < im using the search bar url plugin

Aside from this , does ml make the air snappier ? Can you give more reasons why i should upgrade please?

2. mike5250 macrumors newbie

I was thinking of upgrading as well and don't mind the $20 fee. I just don't want it to still have issues. I would like airplay to work with my apple tv.

3. yinz macrumors 6502a

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I upgraded on my 2011 13" MBA i7. I like it so far. The biggest reason is that "instant on" is truly instant now. Other than that, what you asked about -

gatekeeper - can easily be turned in the preferences

icloud - i don't use it either and don't need to. dropbox works just fine though, i've been having trouble with the skydrive app though...

messages - does everything ichat used to do. this seems more tailored for people who have iphones.

notification center - a bit useless now, but when more apps start taking advantage of it, it will be much better. right now, gmail in chrome works with it and that's pretty good. i see this feature more as "dashboard 2.0", once devs start writing widgets to fill this space, it will be very good.

safari - i use chrome.

snappier - see above. yes, it's certainly snappier. resumes quicker is the main thing i noticed.

5. jmgregory1 macrumors 68000

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    DL away. No reason not to update and the new features may or may not make a difference to you. If you've got an iPhone or iPad and use it for work or school, the iCloud update will definitely be worthwhile.

6. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

I've upgraded and I can recommend it.

Safari - snappier.
    Notifications - useful.
    Messages - useful esp with iPxxx devices.

7. fireworksdesign thread starter macrumors member

instant on sounds nice , aside from the power nap feature too.

if i dont update to ml , i won't get any software updates for bugs/fixes right ?