Should I upgrade my 3G to iOS 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edtorious, Jun 22, 2010.

?

Should I upgrade my 3G to iOS 4?

Poll closed Jun 23, 2010.
  1. Yes! iOS 4 FTW!

24 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No! 'cause now I regret doing it!

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. Maybe or I don't care! Go ahead I dare ya!

14 vote(s)
    25.9%
  1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

I keep reading all this people having problems with iOS 4 on their iPhone 3G, should I just wait till my iPhone 4 here or upgrade now to get a preview of what iOS 4 is about, I'm afraid it's going to brick my iPhone 3G and I still need to sell it after I get my iPhone 4G.

2. vespagirl macrumors regular

vespagirl

In a word..no. I am completely irritated and ready to pitch my 3G out the window of a moving vehicle. Issues across the board - slooowwwww, squirrelly sensor, slow messaging, you name it. Almost like it knows it is being replaced in the next 24-48 hours and it's acting out like a rebellious teen. I'd take that update back if I could.

3. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

If you are getting an iPhone 4 in the next 48 hours, do not waste your time. It isn't worth it. Even if you aren't upgrading, I wouldn't bother. It has gotten slower and I've discovered that, other than Bing, I rarely use the limited features it includes.

4. OutlawImmortal macrumors regular

OutlawImmortal

I did just for the hell of it.

I done some syncing and for some reason my 3g now has every single picture from my computer on it lol. How did that happen?:rolleyes:

5. Resist macrumors 68030

After spending around 20 hours trying to get the upgrade, I regret it. It runs very slow and some of my apps don't work at all.

While I love having the old iPod Touch 3D dock back, I hate what Apple did with the calculator icon.

6. edtorious thread starter macrumors 65816

edtorious

:D ok! you guys already convinced me even though not a lot voted yet. Actually even though I haven't upgraded yet, my 3G is already acting all like you described already:p:p . Just like vespagirl says, almost like it know it is being replaced! :D

7. edk99 macrumors 6502a

8. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

You aren't going to brick it. Make a back up and try it out. If it doesn't work well, restore from your backup.

9. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Lets see what's happened to me in the past 24 hours...

Lost all my contacts, photos (from camera roll), and settings
    Can't do jack squat different from OS3.0. Kinda hard to find a compatibility site as well...Kinda pissed.

10. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

User error. If you had synced and backed up you wouldn't have lost anything.

11. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

I did. Trust me I did.

Also didn't it go through it's 10 decade back-up process before it upgraded? Where did that info go? To the wind?

12. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Explain to me then how you "lost" it if you backed it up. What happened to your backup? How did the upgrade do anything to your backup?

13. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

Your guess is just as good as mine bro. I have no idea.

Backed up in the morning...updated while I went for a run/showered...went to work and noticed I had no personal info...or apps. Came home and plugged in for a sync and all that came over were my apps.

14. vespagirl macrumors regular

vespagirl

That was the other thing - how long it took. I actually took a long and restful nap while it was "upgrading"...and I use the term loosely.

15. matt15f macrumors member

I tried but cant. It fails when connecting with the activation servers. I tried both the official way and the shift click method neither work.

16. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

You didn't back anything up, did you? You trusted the upgrade to do the backup for you. That's not backing up.

check here but unless you did your own back up and put it in a safe place you can't guarantee it won't be lost.

On a Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

On Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

On Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

17. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

based on my experience I wouldn't. It's running pretty bad on my 3G, I've had to restart a couple times already.

Can't wait for my 4 to arrive (hopefully) tomorrow.

18. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

...so why would I go this far out of my way to upgrade a product? Back up to another location?

Seriously?

Is this needed? What a joke.

Thanks for the help but I see what the problem is.

19. doctapeppa macrumors 6502

Umm. So you don't lose your stuff, maybe?

Making a backup is "going out of your way"? It takes like 3 clicks..

I see what the problem is too...

20. Appmamma macrumors newbie

I say no... wait to experience the "real thing" on the 4

21. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I upgraded my 3G. Then I jailbroke it to add multitasking and background pictures.

The battery drained a bit faster today than normal; but I was using it near constantly.

Multitasking can get a little "choppy" during the animations, but it's perfectly usable. Pandora happily plays in the background, and X-Plane is still just as fast while Pandora is going. Skype hasn't been updated yet to support background calling, and there pretty much aren't any other background-aware apps yet. (There are "quick switch" aware apps, but not too many that you can definitively demonstrate background operation.)

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

My friend with a 3G upgraded and it is downright terrible

It was slow, unresponsive at times, and just annoyingly difficult to use

I am sticking with the original software until my 4 comes tomorrow or Thursday

23. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Hrm. Well, my battery is *DEFINITELY* draining faster now than before.

And I'm having a few funky glitches. Most are related to "unsupported" use of multitasking, though. I'm probably going to throw stock iOS 4 on tonight and see if the issues go away.

24. flar macrumors newbie

You say you sync'd, but restoring involves hitting the Restore button, not just syncing...?

25. Duardo macrumors member

I have to restart multiple times to use my apps. The RAM and processing power suck for the 3G. Strange how the 3G is basically the same as the first generation iPhone, yet they wouldn't let them have the update...

Some of my apps crash a lot now too. It's rather annoying to say the least. Unless you want folders, don't bother getting it.