Should I upgrade my Airport Extreme 2nd gen?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by deyorew, Oct 30, 2012.

1. deyorew macrumors member

Okay, So I purchased an Airport Extreme Base Station in 2008. This makes it either a 2nd, or possible first generation model (after the round versions)

I am wondering what the current (5th gen) or Time Capsule (4th gen) would do for my network.

My current setup does not extend to my whole house so I had to purchase an Airport Express extender.

My question is: do the newer generations have substantially faster wifi access or do they have much greater range?

I am debating a new Time Capsule purchase for backup AND updated wifi base station over another hard drive only expansion option...

----------

I noticed in the specs that my base station has only SINGLE 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. And it sets it at the lowest device, so I am probably running 2.4Ghz Radio.
    The new ones do Dual Band (both radio frequencies) so I wonder if this would make a difference since I have:

Early 2009 Mac Mini, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, iPad original, iPad 3rd, and a Dell Laptop PC all using my wireless network.

2. deyorew thread starter macrumors member

I see lots of views, but no comments...does anyone have any insight?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... the new models would give you better reception and much better speeds, particularly in newer devices like the iP5 that support dual-band 802.11n.

Here is a good review of the new models with some speed and reception comparisons.

I have a Time Capsule and really like it for set and ignore it Time Machine backups.

4. rkuo macrumors 6502a

You did the right thing by buying the Express as an extender. The faster wi-fi from newer models will not be useful unless you are transferring large files from computer to computer. I doubt you will benefit much from upgrading unless you are experiencing interference or dropouts in the 2.4GHz band.