Should I upgrade my baseband?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lukeman3000, Jun 23, 2012.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4 running 4.2.1 with a baseband of 03.10.01.

I believe that Gevey Sim is my only option for an unlock at this point, but I want to upgrade to 5.1.1, so I had a couple questions:

1. If I upgrade to 5.1.1, should I keep my 03.10.01 baseband, or let the baseband get upgraded?

2. If I let 5.1.1 upgrade my baseband, what will it be updated to, and is the newest baseband unlockable by any means (i.e. - Gevey Sim)?

3. Is it possible that 03.10.10 will be supported by Ultrasn0w at some point in time in the future? In other words, would it be wise to keep my older baseband because it may be supported before newer basebands? Or is it unlikely that it will ever be supported?

tl;dr: I'm trying to ascertain if I should preserve my baseband or not, and why. My iPhone 4 is currently jailbroken on 4.2.1, but it's (obviously) not unlocked, since I have 03.10.01 baseband. However, I may want to unlock in the future (or buy a Gevey Sim), and I'm trying to decide the best course of action (if there is one).

2. Dav1 macrumors 6502

This is an iPad area not an iPhone area, and your post doesn't actually belong here.

As to your question, what part of the world are you in? And how much do you travel the world? How good is your iPhone signal now? How really important is it to be able to switch carriers, to you?

You are aware that after your contract is over AT&T will unlock your phone? At this point the iPhone 4 is one generation behind, and you are missing some features in Apple's newest phone? Is that important to you?

I **believe** that updating the baseband improves the accurace of the GPS, and in marginal signal areas may get you a better signal would that be important to you?

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Um, you need to put the pipe down. This is the iPhone hacks forum. His post DOES belong here. :rolleyes:

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Thread started you answered your own question, if you upgrade the baseband, the only unlock for your phone is IMEI carrier unlock.

Preserve your baseband to be able to use a Gevey sim interposer.