Should I upgrade my hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by benlee, Jul 2, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

My 500GB external is full. 3/4 of it is Time Machine backup and the other is movies and T.V. shows synced with Apple TV.

My internal is getting full as I only have about 29 GB at any given time. However, if I am ripping a dvd for Apple TV conversion or other tasks it can get much lower.

I plan on buying a Time Capsule for Time Machine and then use my existing external for movies. 500GB each.

My question is should I upgrade my internal hard drive? I have 120 GB and think even a 250 GB would be great.

Who has upgraded? Give me some advice please!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

pfft, I usually have like 5GB free on my internal :/ (120GB stock MBP drive)

I'm going to finally upgrade to one of the new WD Scorpio Black 320GB 7200rpm drives once I get my paycheck next week. Newegg has them for $179.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

My 120GB has 30GB left, but I just backed and deleted my videos on my external. It was full. I think I will upgrade to a 250GB or 320GB in the next few months.

4. PLin macrumors 6502

A lot of people I know, including myself, have upgraded the drives in a MacBook Pro. The first time may be a bit challenging, but after you do it once, you can probably do it again in 10-15 minutes.

The only thing to keep in mind is that there's no guarantee that Apple will honor the warranty if there's a different hard drive inside, since it's not officially a customer replaceable part.

Legally, I don't think they can deny you if something unrelated breaks, such as the LCD backlight. However, they can always try to claim that you caused a short circuit during the upgrade, which could cause just about any component in the computer to fail.

If you decide to upgrade, I would recommend keeping the original hard drive in a safe place, and if you need to send the computer in for warranty repair, re-install the original drive first.

5. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I just upgraded my MBP from a 120gb to a 250gb. The process was fairly easy, just make sure you have the right tools.(google)

I was extremely nervous througout the entire process. I work in IT and take crap apart all the time, but my precious MBP......it just mad me nervous ok?

:)

6. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I am going to be nervous if I do it too. I upgraded the memory in someone else's intel Mac Mini so I don't think I will have a problem but I have never taken apart a notebook computer.

I just know this space isn't going to cut it. It sucks that Apple does not allow for an easier way to upgrade.

7. crobbins macrumors 6502

I upgraded my first MacBook Pro and it was very easy. I think you would be quite happy with a nice little HDD upgrade!