Should I upgrade my laptop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acidburn, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. acidburn macrumors member

    Jan 22, 2006
    I have an ibook G4 (1.25 ghz 12" version with upgraded hd to 60 gb and 768 mb ram) that I bought almost one year ago. I bought it with tax refund money and did not intend for it to be my main computer (have a desktop pc). Over the last year, I have been using the ibook more and more and my pc doesn't get any action as it is in need of a hd wipe and windows reinstall (what a pain) and I have become a mac person. So now I basically am in a one computer mode again - I use it for email, web browsing, web site creation (just for fun), light programming in xcode, recording acoustic guitar, and misc stuff. I would like more ram, a bigger hd (esp if this is my main computer), and maybe a bit more speed although ram is more important to me. Should I consider upgrading soon? If so, how much value could I get out of my ibook (it does have apple care) and where should I sell it (ebay or is there something better)? Is it worth it to upgrade if I want to make this my main computer?
    Thanks for the advice -
  2. onthat macrumors regular


    Feb 26, 2006
    Ruston, Louisiana
    I'd say you'd be looking at between 600 and 750 bucks if you sell it, and I'd be willing to buy it if it had the 14" screen...

    Do you prefer the portability?
    I mean, if you have an ibook parked on your desk at home and it never goes anywhere...then you shouldn't really have an ibook. If this were the case I'd be looking at a power pc desktop with the latest updates.

    If you do like the mobility of your computing needs, I'd either get a powerbook or wait until iBook updates. My own personal choice would be the powerbook...though the new iBook will probably cost much less.
  3. California macrumors 68040


    Aug 21, 2004
    If you like the computer, stick with it. You can drop a 100 or120gig hard drive in it, and drop a full 1.25ghz of ram in it and it will run faster.

    personally, if I only had one computer to live with, it would be the last revision 14" ibook -- 1.42ghz maxed out with 1.5gb of ram and a 100 or 120gb hard drive. This is because the 12" and 14" model right after yours have both the motion sensor and scrolling trackpad features, which I adore -- also have more built in ram.

    So, if I were you, and I mean this really, if I had to do it all over again and stick to one machine only -- it would be the 14" 1.42ghz ibook. It is a very fast machine and I like the larger screen. The 12" ibook 1.33ghz is also a very nice machine. Funny how the extra ram and slightly faster CPU make these iBooks outstanding values. But if you just want to wait, buy the extended applecare for your 1.2ghz iBook and stuff it with faster hd and ram. (Also drop a superdrive in it. Have to have an Apple tech do it, though)
  4. Acehigh macrumors 6502

    Mar 5, 2006
    You should sell it before its a year old so the person has the option to buy applecare that should increase the resale value of the ibook.
  5. acidburn thread starter macrumors member

    Jan 22, 2006
    Thanks for the advice - I have some things to think about.
    I did buy extended apple care a few months ago (I thought I read somewhere that it is transferable).
    I do like the laptop and am split between 1. having the ibook and buying an imac or 2. putting all of my money into a nice laptop and having that be my main computer. I like the portability - don't need it as much as some, but I am a geek and I like this stuff. I am leaning towards buying an imac later this year when more intel apps are out and keeping the ibook for now.
  6. YS2003 macrumors 68020


    Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    If you feel your Mac is not keeping up with your computing needs, it would be a time for an upgrade. You can keep you old Mac for light computing works (such as web srufing, ripping CDs or DVDs, testing with new software).

    I would be getting one desktop Mac and notebook Mac once Adobe makes its CS in Universal Binary. In the meantime, I am sticking with my G4 units as they can handle CS2 and MX2004 nicely.

Share This Page