Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Hello! I'm new here, but I'm looking forward to discussions.

My late 2006 black macbook is getting a little VERY laggy. It only has 1GB of RAM, and I know it supports 3.3Gb of RAM. I'm going to upgrade to an SSD as well. Does anyone have any thoughts/comments/concerns on these options?

RAM - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231135

SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442

Thanks guys!

If you're not ready for a new one then this is the way to go..

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
Agreed, this is a great way to put a lot of life into an old machine.
I guarantee you will recognize a speed difference.

D

doublemac17

Original poster
Any advice on pushing OS X Lion onto it afterwards?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Any advice on pushing OS X Lion onto it afterwards?

A year or so ago I upped my 2,1 MacBook to a 500 GB/7200rpm HD and then about 2 months ago I jumped from 1 to 4 (3.3) GB RAM. I feel like that was more than adequate. The SSD would be even greater for you. I just don't think I'll hold onto this laptop long enough to justify one myself. And I keep waiting for the price per GB to drop more.

You either need to update to 10.6.x first if you don't have it already, or buy the Lion USB install version. Personally, I'm not interested in Lion. Our work Macs have them, it's okay. I'm also worried about potential decreased performance due to higher requirements. I think I'll finally upgrade to 10.6 though. I've been sitting at 10.5.8 for ages.

davenz

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
I have considered doing this to my 2,1 macbook. However that is an expensive upgrade for a computer with probably a year or so left in its life. its managed 5 years- which i am impressed with as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.