Should I Upgrade my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omegasyn, May 7, 2008.

1. omegasyn macrumors regular

My current dilemma is if I should upgrade my 15' MBP 2.33 to the newest 15' MBP 2.5 or MP (2) Quad 2.8 ghz.

Currently my 2.33 MBP is stock and has just ran out of apple initial warranty without applecare extension but has worked flawlessly so far. My question is, could I sell this laptop for at least $1200-1400 if I include a wireless keyboard and wireless mighty mouse?

Now, If I do attempt to sell the 2.33 MBP for $1200-1400. I could obtain a brand new 2.5 MBP for $2100 or should I shell out more cash for the (2) 2.8 Quad MP at $2550 on amazon?

Now, my daily usage includes surfing, emailing, coding (php+css), and moderate graphic work. I have already purchased a NEC LCD2490WUXi-BK Black 24.1 for $1200 and would like to eventually go dual setup. Would the MP be more logical if my intentions were to keep the system for 3+ years compared to the MBP 2.5 or keep my current setup?

I appreciate whomever that made it through my incoherent ADHD attempt to write a comprehend-able questionnaire and look forward to some positive opinions. :)

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Your uses are more than below what your current MBP is capable of handling, is there a reason why you want to replace your current machine so early, it's quite a powerful Mac. There's not going to be much CPU speed difference between the 2.33 and a 2.5.

3. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

What about the option for upgrade to 4GB of ram, LED LCD, and Penryn processor? Are there sufficient performance of the new mac models compared to the old?

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I would wait until the next round of updates. it sounds like your current setup is capable and can handle your needs well. I dont really think its worth upgrading now as it wont be much of a difference (unless you choose MP that is) so my advice is wait for the next round of updates to the MBP line which should be around june and maybe they will add something that will make it more compelling to upgrade to.

5. MacAodh macrumors regular

Honestly, If you brought a new one and put them together in a room using them both, other then the scuff marks on the older one my guess is you'd find it really tough to tell them apart with that kind of usage.

6. Makosuke macrumors 603

I think it depends mostly on what you mean by "moderate graphic work."

The LED backlight will net you maybe a few percent more battery life, but that alone doesn't seem compelling for the cost (and relative hassle) of an upgrade unless you think that extra ten minutes (or whatever) of battery runtime is worth it.

The +1GB RAM could make a difference in speed, but again it depends on what you're doing; if you're running a few browsers, a basic web IDE, and doing some graphics touchup and compression for the web, I'm not sure how much of a boost that 1GB is going to give you over the 3GB you've already got (and if you DON'T have 3GB, the upgrade to it is a whole lot cheaper than a new MBP). You can check Activity Monitor to see if you're getting a lot of pageouts and/or have zero free/inactive RAM, of course.

When I'm doing similar work on my MBP (1st gen 17", so 2GB max RAM) I rarely have any memory/speed issues unless I've fired up Parallels to do IE testing, and even then it's usually ok--I just try to quit Photoshop first.

If, however, you're talking about doing Photoshop work with very high-resolution images, it could be a noticeable boost, though. Certainly, the MP would get you a significant boost in Photoshop speed if you load it up with RAM and have a very fast scratch disk, if that's the kind of work you're doing.

It's possible you'll notice a big difference, but it just seems to me like you're probably not particularly taxing what you've got.

7. omegasyn thread starter macrumors regular

To tell you the truth, the only programs I use so far are Quicksliver, Coda, Textmate, PS3, Transmute, Safari, Firefox, Adium, and Parallel w/ IE7. I usually have all of them opened at the same-time as I am self-employed and efficiency is KEY in my situation.

Again, having the option to eventual go dual 24 is also the reason I'm leaning towards the mac pro side and the ability to upgrade a metric ton of ram. Keep in mind that I intend to keep the new machine for more than 3-5 years without an upgrade, that is if I upgrade.

8. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Does your current MBP do everything you need it to? If so do not upgrade. You only upgrade unless there is a reason.

9. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

or if you're just rich with a ton of disposable income and just want the latest and greatest.