Should I upgrade my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kauai, Jan 29, 2012.

  1. Kauai, Jan 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012

    Kauai macrumors 6502a

    Oct 13, 2010
    Yes, I realize there are probably a lot of threads like this. And I'm sorry for adding another, but I'd like responses tailored to my specific situation.

    I currently have a 13" base MBP. It handles everything I need it to and works awesome.

    But recently, I've been using my cousins 15" MBP and I love the screen! The extra 2" really makes a difference, and since I'd rather not upgrade every year - (which I'd be doing if I sold my 13" MBP) I'd rather be stuck with a 15" screen than a 13" one for the next two or three years.

    My decision really comes down to refurbished current gen or waiting for the next gen. I can probably hold out just fine for the next few months, but on the other hand I don't do much gaming - besides a few paradox and strategy games. I'll never be running the latest action games on my computer since I have consoles for that. I do plan to dive deeper into photoshop in the future, but I won't ever be doing company level graphics - simply as a means to help with some groups I'm involved with.

    Knowing all this, should I wait for the next generation or just buy a refurbished MBP right now? The 13" is fine for right now, so is the next upgrade going to be worth the wait? Either way, should I go for the lower tier - which would probably handle my current affairs fine, or try and future proof (knowing I will keep this computer for a few years) and aim a little higher since while 'future proofing' may be debatable...I may get more into gaming (never huge) or graphics editing.

    Last but not least, I've had a fleeting interest in a reufbrished 17" MBP. Totally unsuitable for the average customer, or not? I had a 17" PC when I was younger - like thirteen, and I never found it to big. But then again, I didn't take my computer too many places either.

    Really sorry about my rambling! I know no one can make the descision for me, but your opinions DO help!

    P.S. I might add, I don't want people thinking ALL I do is some light web browsing / E-Mail / Facebook. While the 13" is okay RIGHT NOW, I am getting more and more involved in graphics design and I do game some with bootcamp, - and sometimes the 13" lags. So no, I'm not going way over my head IMO.
  2. foxyfabio macrumors member

    Nov 28, 2011
    Kauai, Hawaii
    Wait until the refresh happens and then buy a refurb 17 inch.
  3. DockMac macrumors regular

    Dec 22, 2008
    If you travel or carry out your notebook a lot, stick with the 13 inch, heck even go with a MacBook Air. But if you don't, go with the 17 inch.
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    Just wait for the next model.

    Either it's great, then you can buy it and have the new stuff

    Or it sucks, then you can buy the late 2011 refurbished or from a reseller, and save a lot of money.

    Win - Win

Share This Page