Should I upgrade my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JHNguyen, Jun 17, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

I've got one of the first MBPs that came out..

2.0 GHZ Intel Core Duo. Should I get a new MBP?

I really have no reason to upgrade other than I want something new. I had initially wanted to buy something smaller to lug around with me, but it looks like the MB has some quality control issues. I've kind of given up on getting something smaller (unless you guys have suggestions).. and thought about just upgrading my MBP. Like I said earlier.. my current computer is working out great for me. If it was a little smaller, it'd be perfect.

I'm a college student and the "heaviest" thing I'll be doing on the computer would be some video editing. But even then.. I'm not that serious about it. I actually haven't even tried it out. It's just a dream of mine.

Am I going to notice a huge difference with the new MBP? It'd suck to get a $2000 computer that looks exactly the same and performs like my old one.
    (for the things I'm doing on it, at least)

If it helps.. I won't be gaming at all.

2. viggen61 macrumors 6502

It sounds like you are mostly satisfied with what you have. I'd say to keep what you have for the moment, and see what the future brings.

To be sure, there are some things that will feel "faster" on a newer machine, but unless you've got $2,000 burning a hole in your pocket, I'd at least wait to see what the next revision brings before spending a lot.

If you have not yet, maxing out the RAM in yout MBP is one of the best things you can do for it. Maybe a bigger hard drive, too.

I'm eagerly awaiting a 2GB stick for my MBP (2.33 C2D) to bring it up to max. Hopefully that'll eliminate several of the slowdowns I get regularly.:p

RAM capacity seems to be one of the main reasons I tend to upgrade. My PB G3 was just fine, for the most part, but with it's paltry (by today's standards :rolleyes:) 521MB of RAM, OS X was bogging down regularly. Same thing for my almost 8-year-old G4 desktop...

:apple::apple:

3. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

You will probably notice a speed increase if you decide to upgrade to a newer model. They also have the multi touch pad, and the option of getting a higher resolution screen/backlit screen. I'm not sure if your model can be expanded to 3gigs of ram or 4 gigs of ram, but the newer models go to 4.

You may or may not have Leopard, so that might be a consideration as well. As far as your stated uses, it sounds like you're fine with what you have, but want new hehe.

Then there's the option of getting the better video card, if you decide on that model. So there are definitely increases in potential setups, but again, not really anything you'll need for your uses. Are you able to go to an Apple store or authorized retailer to check it out in person?

You may find yourself pursuing the video editing more when you have a more powerful machine? Just some things to consider. Good luck on your decision. :)

4. kyen1 macrumors member

Sounds like money is just burning a hole in your pocket. Don't worry. We all go through it to some extent. :)

Just last week, I was trying to justify getting a MacBook Air...don't ask.

I also have one of the earlier MBPs. Mine is a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo with 2GB ram. I do quite a bit of photo editing on Photoshop and Aperture 2 and there is absolutely no need for anything more. Of course it would be nice, but certainly not necessary.

I recently did a clean install upgrade to Leopard and it was like having a brand new Mac. I was extremely impressed with how simple and quick the process was. As digitalnicotine said, upgrading to Leopard might be a consideration if you haven't done so already. I am very glad I did it.

I am actually very content with my MBP and it sounds like you are too. Chill out for a while. If there is no reason to upgrade now, just be patient. You will be happier when the new MacBooks/MBPs come out (God knows when though!).