Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smittens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2020
Almost 12 months down the track .... As it played out, I purchased the keyboard for the iPad Pro and then with the software upgrade I was able to use the mouse as well... Still didn't feel quite right to me and in reality, once the keyboard is carried everywhere with the iPad, the benefit of the iPad's portability diminishes somewhat. I also found myself getting into coding, which wasn't on the radar when I first created the post.

My patience (which was partially lack of income) paid dividends in the end ... Many times I almost bought the 2020 but managed to control myself! With the M1, I continued to fight it for a while, mainly on the back of a lot of people saying the first iteration should be avoided... But, around Xmas, I decided to treat myself. The coding study was happening as well as a few other things that were to made a lot easier with a MB. My next dilemma was which MB to go for ... I felt a little sick forking out $ at all, but had always intended on the MBP. In the end, all the feedback suggested that performance between the two machines did not justify the extra price for the MBP. That, coupled with the idea in my mind that I would probably only own this one until the next model came out pointed to getting the cheapest available, which is what I did.

The local shop had a 10% discount and then I was able to utilise a third-party offer to gain an extra $100 off the price, which was handy.

Anyway, I was in a position where I had income again and was in a better position to purchase. Still felt a bit funny handing over the money, but that's just me.

Ultimately, I absolutely love the MBA. I haven't done anything too intensive yet, but it's been unreal to use and such a smooth/quick operation compared to the 2010, which was driving me a bit nuts in the end. Battery life is awesome. At this point, I don't even feel like I will need to upgrade to the next iteration of the MBP (or MBA for that matter). Love the smaller/lighter size of the MBA too. Will likely be getting into some music production software soon, so will see how it handles that, but not expecting any issues.

One thing I have noticed is that the iPad rarely gets used now. I keep it pretty much purely for the stylus. Haven't figured out whether I'll bother holding onto it longer term yet. May still have a role to play.

Reactions: brijesht

brijesht

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
India
just wanting to update after 'upgrading' - got the SSD (250GB ~$60), new battery(~$90) & data doubler(~$20)

Have them all setup and installed, total cost was about $170 and I now have 250+120(old ssd)GB space & a battery that's pretty much new or rather more (although I do feel bad for the original apple battery which still gave like 45 mins after 11 years!).
The MBP feels pretty fast(relatively speaking) now and it was quite easy to DIY replace the parts - will update after a few weeks and that should give a more realistic feedback of the upgrade.

thanks for listening and the suggestions - not going for any more investment on the 11 yr old MBP - if this works for another year or so(I think it should), I think it would be worth it.

brijesht

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2011
India
Almost 12 months down the track .... As it played out, I purchased the keyboard for the iPad Pro and then with the software upgrade I was able to use the mouse as well... Still didn't feel quite right to me and in reality, once the keyboard is carried everywhere with the iPad, the benefit of the iPad's portability diminishes somewhat. I also found myself getting into coding, which wasn't on the radar when I first created the post.

My patience (which was partially lack of income) paid dividends in the end ... Many times I almost bought the 2020 but managed to control myself! With the M1, I continued to fight it for a while, mainly on the back of a lot of people saying the first iteration should be avoided... But, around Xmas, I decided to treat myself. The coding study was happening as well as a few other things that were to made a lot easier with a MB. My next dilemma was which MB to go for ... I felt a little sick forking out $ at all, but had always intended on the MBP. In the end, all the feedback suggested that performance between the two machines did not justify the extra price for the MBP. That, coupled with the idea in my mind that I would probably only own this one until the next model came out pointed to getting the cheapest available, which is what I did.

The local shop had a 10% discount and then I was able to utilise a third-party offer to gain an extra $100 off the price, which was handy.

Anyway, I was in a position where I had income again and was in a better position to purchase. Still felt a bit funny handing over the money, but that's just me.

Ultimately, I absolutely love the MBA. I haven't done anything too intensive yet, but it's been unreal to use and such a smooth/quick operation compared to the 2010, which was driving me a bit nuts in the end. Battery life is awesome. At this point, I don't even feel like I will need to upgrade to the next iteration of the MBP (or MBA for that matter). Love the smaller/lighter size of the MBA too. Will likely be getting into some music production software soon, so will see how it handles that, but not expecting any issues.

One thing I have noticed is that the iPad rarely gets used now. I keep it pretty much purely for the stylus. Haven't figured out whether I'll bother holding onto it longer term yet. May still have a role to play.
i hear you when you say you almost bought it but then held back and I hear you again when you say that you eventually made the jump (and it felt funny handing the money - I totally get it, it is expensive and great and is a bittersweet feeling buying a mac :) )
I almost did that myself but then I discovered this awesome site macsales and I'm just wanting to test the limits here with upgrading my SSD & battery for under $200 and hoping this to work for another year or so(and maybe set some sort of record for using MBP for more than 12 years) - as of now, with the new battery, SSD upgrade(capacity), it does feel faster(relatively speaking) or maybe it's just the initial days. Well, if it doesn't last at least a year more, I would have to be content with the fact that I tried and it was fun DIY stuff!

Congrats on the MBA - I almost did it, will probably go for it in the next iteration (or maybe the next!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.