Should I upgrade my MP 2.66 Dual Core?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Noctilux.95, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

I just bought a new iMac 27" i7 to supplement my 3.5 year old Mac Pro 2.66 Dual Core with 7gig memory.
    I'm thinking of upgrading to either a new Mac Pro or another iMac i7.
    I'm a working photographer and use PS CS5 along with Aperture 3 all day long.

I have several reasons for thinking of upgrading.

My Mac Pro is past its Apple Care though working flawlessly
    A new Mac Pro would be a lot faster?
    A new iMac i7 would save me from buying the new 27" Apple LED (plus converter) that I'm looking to buy for my Mac Pro

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If the iMac you already have can meet your needs, then you should be fine with the iMac. Some people, especially photographers dislike the glossy screen so it's up to you. Use your iMac for your work stuff for few days and see if it's enough

3. Noctilux.95 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually prefer the glossy screen as my office is pretty dark.

How much faster are the new Mac Pros that my old 2.66 Dual core working with Photoshop CS5 and Aperture 3?

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I assume your machine is the first generation 2.66GHz model? If it is, to give you an idea how fast the new 2010 models are, a base model 2.8GHz QUAD ($2499 model right now) scores a geekbench of 8800 while your current Mac Pro model will score 5400.

I find it amazing that the new 17" i7 macbook pros score just as high as the first generation Mac Pros.