Should I upgrade my original iphone - is the water safe yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jerrym303, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Jerrym303 macrumors newbie

Hello folks,

I am interested in upgrading my perfectly operating iphone because I would like to install some of the apps - particularly the app to use my iphone as a remote for my Slim Devices Transporter, but I wanted to be sure I wasn't buying into too many problems.

Surfing through the forums, it looks like most of the current problems are related to 3G, which I won't have.

What do you think.

Thanks,

Jerry

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

If you're excited then probably..... but considering you have a 1st gen iPhone.... I'd rather wait for September 2nd week!

Er sorry..... btu you did mean iPhone 3G right? Or you meant 2.0? If you meant 2.0, you definitely should!

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

if your iphone is unlocked, then if you update it will be locked to AT&T again. other than that, be prepared to enjoy the lagginess of 2.x!:D

4. Jerrym303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Ben, what lags on 2.xx? I am running 1.1.3 and have no intention of getting a 3G phone. Part of the reason I got the iphone was because it is the cheapest data plan option out there and I only put out $50 for my phone. I don't want to add $15/mo + $199 upfront.

Also, my phone is not unlocked.

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Contacts and Safari (as usual) are somethings that crash frequently! Other than that over all flick is a bit slow but else is fine!

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

what doesn't lag in 2.x.x?:mad: the SMS app is really slow, and so is contacts. i have 2.0 and it sucks. the only advantage is having the app store, which is great i guess. so if your phone is not unlocked then you have nothing to worry about:)

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

The SMS app keyboard is a real real frustrating freeze! The buttons just stick out for about a second before registering the keystroke!

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Short answer: Wait. However, what you should do depends on your luck and pain threshold. Some people have no issues, others do. I don't use 3G but my phone gets to a point where no third-party app will launch, which is a common issue. There are various steps to get them to work again. My wife has many of the applications I do on her original iPhone and rarely has a problem. It is only a slight exaggeration to say I spend more time backing up/recovering/fixing than I do using the phone.

If I were to make the decision today with what I've learned since July, I would not buy one. If I wasn't past 30 days, I would return it. Definitely a love-hate relationship.

Can you tell I'm bitter? :D I turned off my phone last night planning to eject the sim and changed my mind. That was the last time any of my third-party apps worked and the couple of things I've tried this morning haven't worked. Unless something works, I'm looking at another 2 hour erase plus a multiple hour reinstall. I don't even bother backing up and restoring the phone because of the time involved. I also try to not sync with iTunes for fear of breaking the third-party apps. I also don't purchase or updates apps in the mobile app store. Not the way I want to manage my phone or time.

Just giving the OP one person's experience...

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

9. Jerrym303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Pnutts,

It sound like your phone is 3G and your wife's phone is the original. Is that right?

It is beginning to sound like I should wait a bit longer. The new stuff I want will be nice, but basic internet access an phone use is far more important to me.

10. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I am currently looking for a 16 gb v1 iPhone with 1.1.4 still installed to replace my 3g (2.0.2). That's how dissapointed I am with the new software. Even as I type this my keyboard is lagging. Also, I've read here on macrumors a number of v1 owners who went to 2.0 and subsequent versions had dramatic drops in battery life.

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yeah i would definitely hold off. I upgraded my V1 to 2.0.2 when it came and throughout my week's usage things just didn't work 100%. It was 'usable' i.e. apps launched fine, safari didn't crash often but the phone usually stuttered, lagged etc. after a while

The break point for me happened when i was texting someone whilst listening to music, it (the music) started skipping and the keyboard lagged as i was typing and the phone then reset itself a few seconds later.

I'd had enough and a reverted to 1.1.4 as soon as i got home

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Yes, the wifey's is an original. With all the pain I've had, if you want to ignore the apps and just have a phone and web browser, the 3G might work for you. I leave mine on Edge and as a phone and browser for basic sites it is rock solid. For heavy websites I turn on 3G.

13. s1k0 macrumors newbie

s1k0

Hey,
    Last week i upgraded my iPhone to 2.0.1 for the apps from from 1.1.4 and it was a good decision. I have not experienced any lag everyone is talking about (knock on wood) or anything. But i was ftp once and i was playing around with the files and deleted and my iphone wouldn't boot but was super easy to restore. If you choose not to upgrade to 2.0 then at least upgrade to 1.1.4!

14. taytho macrumors 6502

is there any fix in sight for this horrible sms functionality?

15. ebony macrumors regular

I have a 16gig original iphone and I updated to 2.1, what a mistake, It is lag city.

Luckily I have now upgraded back to 1.1.4 ( and it is an upgrade trust me ).

2.1 is a disgrace, you get lag in sms, contacts, and any app that uses the keyboard.

My wife has a 3g iphone and 2.1 is just as bad on that. If we could upgrade that to 1.1.4 we would.

Stick with what you've got, its definitely a case of The Emperors New Clothes, people who are claiming 2.1 to be usable, in my opinion, are deluded.

I've compared 1.1.4 and 2.1 on the original iphone on the same day, on the same phone, here's some timings

To open contacts and select a contact,

1.1.4 - 0.5 seconds
    2.1 - 5 seconds

To open SMS messages and select one

1.1.4 - 0.5 seconds
    2.1 - Between 6 to 12 seconds

Also on my wifes 3g phone ( ha ha, it always makes me laugh calling it a 3g phone. ) we can't even turn the 3g on because we never get a signal.

The sad thing is I usually love apples products, and the phone is good, its just the 2.1 firmware is a joke.

Wait until they release a firmware that matches 1.1.4, then upgrade.

16. View macrumors regular

Seems to me like most of the lagginess issues are solved with the 2.1
    SMS loading seems much faster.
    keyboard lagginess seems much less
    less Safari crash

It's like the 1.1.4 for the 2.0 world to me.

17. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

I have 2.1 on my 1st generation iphone, there is no dropped calls that ive noticed, everything works fine

18. Jerrym303 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the replies. Based on what I heard, I held off on an update until 2.1 was out about a week. The overwhelming majority of users seemed to be happy with it, so I took the plunge.

It works great for me and I have had none of the issues others have had. I do keep very few contacts on my iphone, though.

19. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Ebony, you are right,

The reason people (including me) are excited about 2.1 is cause it came after 2.0, 2.01 and 2.02 which were TERRIBLE! We all forgot how 1.1.4 was, today my relative was using his iPhone running 1.1.4 and I took a look at it, I compared it to my 2.1 and it was lightning! no lag, SMS app starts so fast, keyboard lag? the idea never existed on 1.1.4

I might consider upgrading to it as well.

20. yagrax macrumors regular

Please clarify if you're using the brown Contacts application for your test or the green Phone application's Contacts sub-icon. They seem to me to be slightly different applications.

The green Phone's Contacts seems not to have a serious lag, but the brown Contacts stand-alone app does have the lag on my iPhone original with 2.1

21. yagrax macrumors regular

Wanted to also point out that there are several slight video playback issues fixed with 2.1 over 1.1.4. 1.1.4 used to crash safari much easily than 2.1, and 1.1.4 did not have AppStore, but you had to jailbreak it to go outside the box. You can still jailbreak 2.1 if you need to.

My main drawdown on 2.1 is that with PUSH email turned on in my corporate email environment, battery life is drastically reduced. Turning PUSH off, and reverting to Fetch every 15 minutes has made the battery life issue go away.

2.1 email and settings seem to be a lot more stable and reliable than 1.1.4 ever was. There's also the wi-fi / cell-tower locate me in 2.1 that wasn't there in 1.1.4.

However you need to use Apple's special audio/video out cords to get video out to an external monitor/tv - they added some security chip detection a while back to the firmware.

Overall 2.1 is a step forward for the firmware, it's just not a HUGE step like a lot of us old-timers were hoping for, and there's still some bugs here and there to be worked out of 2.1.

22. ebony macrumors regular

Brown contacts were used; doing the same test using phone contacts

1.1.4 - instant, zero lag
    2.1 - instant, zero lag

I agree very little lag.

However its the 1 or 2 second lag I got opening calender, notes, photos, ipod, sms that drew me back to 1.1.4.

I use the phone all day for work, so all the lag adds up and soon became very annoying.