Should I upgrade my ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TSE, Jan 9, 2009.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Here are my stats under Activity Monitor:

Free: 13.73 MB

Wired: 1.23 GB

Active: 511.04 MB

Inactive: 254.31

Used: 1.98 GB

I have 2 GBs of RAM in my Penryn MacBook Pro.

I want to upgrade to 6 GBs of RAM once the 4 GB modules get lower prices, so should I just wait?

2. JLatte macrumors 6502

I bought 4 gigs of RAM off of Newegg.com, 2 x 2GB for $15.99 each. The quality is just fine and it's been working great for me, just to let you know. 4GB is a huge jump, 6 is great but 4 should last you just fine for now til prices drop and for about ~$30 it's a steal.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MBP will only recognize 4GB, so 6GB would be a waste.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Penryns can take 6GB...

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can take 6GB, but Mac OS X only uses a max of 4GB, according to Apple

Attached Files:

6. Billydelp4 macrumors regular

Apple is notorious for lowering the specs for the maximum ram capacity. The Santa rosa chipset and on recognize and address up to 6gb of ram. They get fishy over six. I have 6gb installed in my late 2007 MacBook pro and it works like a charm.

7. flying-dutchman macrumors newbie

which ram?

Hi Billydelp4,

I also have a late 2007 Macbook, the 2,6 Ghz model (200GB drive at 7200, 4GB ram, hi-res screen) - but I'm from Germany, making it somewhat unpractical to buy these upgrades at the US-stores, that usually offer them. Since I haven't found any store here offering the same, I was curious whether you can tell me, which ram is being used exactly? then I'd try it out as well - 'cause I noticed, my macbook gets really slow sometimes when I have parallels running, as well as some mac tools - but this is usually the case. Like right now:
    3,1 GB wired
    577 MB active
    294 MB inactive
    51 MB free
    (with only one app running in parallels!)
    And of course, there's over 60GB of virtual memory in use as well - although I haven't even got that much free space on my system disc - I always wonder, how osx figures that out! :D
    I'd greatly appreciate the information...

Cheers, FD

8. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

The thing about the way RAM works in Mac's (and Vista computers) is that the OS automatically grabs a certain amount of ram right when you turn the computer on (referred to as "Wired" ram). The amount allocated is dependent on the amount of total ram you have.

After my computer is on and loaded (without turning any apps on) my "Wired Ram" stat in GeekTool says that 2.2Gb of my 4GB of ram is already being used. My girlfriends MBP with 2GB of ram says 1.4GB of ram is being used right after powering it on and without loading any apps as well. The amount of "Wired" ram is actually ram that is proactively allocated by the OS to be used for applications you open.

For example, I have 4gb of ram. My stats say that I currently have 2.2GB ram wired. I am only running Safari, Mail, and Adium. If I look under "Activity Monitor" I see that:

Adium - using 45MB of ram
    Safari - using 50MB of ram
    Mail - using 30MB of ram
    All the random OS processes - 120MB ram
    TOTAL = 245MB of ACTUAL ram being used

But the operating system is allocating 2.2GB for more processes.

Now when I open more applications (iTunes, Calendar, iPhoto) I notice that my "Wired Ram" in stats still says 2.2GB.

With all that said, I know that Parallels takes a large amount of ram to run. I've read that the ideal amount of ram you need to run Parallels without slowing the new MBP's down is actually 8GB.:eek:

Though, I haven't seen a noticeable performance decrease while having Outlook running in Parallels on only 4GB of ram.

9. flying-dutchman macrumors newbie

parallels & ram

Hi there,
    well that explains something then :)
    But as you said, parallels is not the fastest thing in the world with limited ram amounts. I also think it might be slowed down, because I have it on an external disc (some WD 2-disc raid 0 solution, attached by FW800)... I have one 128gb ssd, maybe I'm gonna try using that for my parallels HDD. The ssd isn't really fast, in terms of read/write; but it might be better as a windows system disc all the same, because of the latency etc.

Btw I found a german forum where there's some tips regarding ram types to be used: http://www.macuser.de/forum/f10/wieviel-welcher-ram-339329/

Ciao, FD