Should I Upgrade (old MBP) to the new rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TarHeelBlue, Mar 9, 2015.

1. TarHeelBlue macrumors member

I have a MacBook Pro (Processor 2.2 GHz Intel core 2 duo) 4 GB 667 memory
    graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT 128 MB

I have had this computer for a long time and it's been a great computer for awhile, but I'm starting to travel a heck of a lot more than I ever have before and the new 2 pound retina macbook looks awesome.

I'll just be honest with you, I don't use my computer for gaming, graphics, or anything but basically just university things, word, emailing, surfing, etc.

now, is the new macbook that will be out on April 10th more powerful than this MacBook Pro I have now? (I don't know much about computers) I just know that this computer is just so heavy to carry from home to work, and from continent to continent.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Blue

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Well we don't have any benchmarks out yet for these new machines but the reviews of the first Core M PCs weren't very high. According to someone here the rMB has a higher TDP then those machines but we'll see.

Looks like your machine is a 2007 model so I'd say just about anything Apple makes right now would be a huge speed increase from your current machine. I'd consider the 13" rMBP as well but I must admit that new rMB is pretty damn good looking and portable.

3. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

I am gonna keep my 15" because it works well, I'll use it at home. But I am sorta falling in love with the gold and how dang light it is. So you think I should bite the bullet and go for it?

And like you said, anything that apple makes right now would be faster than my current laptop, would it be a noticeable difference?

Thanks again!

Blue

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I'd say yes. Your MacBook Pro is based on the Merom revision of the Core Architecture that Intel stopped producing in 2009. This laptop will not only give you a significant boost in speed (most likely) compared to your current MacBook Pro, but a better screen and better battery life. The Flash SSD alone will give you a huge jolt in speed. Chances are your MBP will not support the next OS X release but this new MacBook will.

What I would do is wait maybe a month after launch and let the reviews roll in along with benchmarks to really get a feel of the machines speed. If you can, go see it in store and use it.

Your MacBook Pro is 8 years old, a lot has changed. I think the trackpad on this model will be a huge selling point for a lot of people.

5. kungxpao macrumors regular

kungxpao

6. Serban Suspended

For traveling a lot...this macbook is a bless for you...battery is an improvement for you, the HD5300 which is on par with HD4300 will be an improvement for you. The cpu based on Intel web that 1.1 Ghz is on par with the 1.4 ghz dual core haswell so regarding cpu you will not see any improvements

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

How will they not see improvements in processing? If the 1.1GHz Core M is on par with a 1.4GHz Haswell (you didn't say i3, i5, or i7) then take a look at these benchmarks for a 2014 MBA with that processor. Those speeds beat any Core 2 Duo I have seen out of the water.

8. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

so do you all think I should or shouldn't upgrade from my 2006-2007 MBP?

will it be faster than my MBP?

also, I think I read somewhere that when it becomes available, that you can upgrade some things on it (other than the two versions it comes in), does anyone know what they are refering to?

----------

I found out what the extra thing was, it was this:

1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache

would that be worth upgrading to?

9. Joelburman macrumors regular

Joelburman

As a previous poster said: Yes in theory its a no-brainer. However, considering its a completely new product I'd await some reviews and benchmarks before buying.

10. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Processor and display-wise: the rMB is definitely going to be better than your C2D.

Since you mentioned travel across continents and university work - the rMB will force you to carry cables and dongles to connect to any peripherals or make presentations. So, if you value connecting to peripherals or projectors a lot more - then consider something like the rMBP 13".

11. Rachel Faith macrumors regular

Rachel Faith

YOU might be a good fit for this device then.

12. TarHeelBlue thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all the responses so far guys and gals!

I do have this old macbook pro 2006-2007 that I use and I have a new 21.5" iMac that my fiancé just bought in Spain. So yes, I'm looking for something fast and something that I can take on the bus/train and go from home to work without breaking my back.

I wanted to ask just a couple of more questions: 1) Since the hard drive is unlike my MBP hard drive, I cannot replace it right? But it is faster? Like searching through it? And bringing up pictures and stuff?

2) I never in a million years thought this MBP would last as long as it has, but I have Yosemite on it and everything and it's still going strong. Do you think the new rMB will last anywhere this long? Is it normal for folks on here to have a computer as old as mine?

and also, 3) do you think it will be worth it to upgrade to the 1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core M processor (Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache? Any opinions on a ballpark figure apple might charge for that?

4) and I know the MBP got some updates to them this week, but when will the next major updates be? (estimation)

5) and as far as I can tell on apple's website, this is the first and only apple computer offered in gold right?

6) and finally one last questions... in Spain I use my macbook pro and I plug into my HDTV via the dual link DVI and watch my Slingbox back in USA hooked up to my internet/satellite ... since this new rMB has an hdmi slot, I could use that for sound and video right? because now the dual link DVI only supports video and I have to turn up the volume on my MBP for volume... gets annoying, but when you are desperate for sports and good movies, you'll settle for just about anything, but it would be great if the hdmi slot would work like that...

okay thanks SO much!!! Seriously! I'm excited to finally get a new computer... This MBP still has the matte screen, and the thought of a retina display is awesome... but I have to say, I love the silver keyboard over the newer black keyboards... maybe this new "butterfly" style keyboard will be ok...

13. artivideo.nl, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015

artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

it will also beat a late 2009 24 inch iMac (C2D, 3.06 GHz, 8MB Ram 1066 MHZ, conventional HD) ?