iPad mini Should I upgrade or should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jian, Oct 28, 2013.

1. jian macrumors regular

So I currently have an LTE iPad 3 16G, and I want to upgrade this sucker for multiple reasons... the speakers don't work. (I tried to clean the connectors and stuff, it would work for about 10minutes and go back to mute...something is wrong here, and plus it's slow on iOS 7), and16G is not enough for the photos and Apps that I have, 32G is probably enough, while 64G will be good but 200 premium for storage upgrade is a little ridiculous IMO.

Since iPad Mini w/ retina display and iPad Air are practically identical besides the display, I think I will go for portability this time and buy the mini, especially since Tmobile offers free 200mb datas and no interest rates, it's just too sweet! but I'm debating if I should hold on to it until Apple adds Touch ID in it, Touch ID saves me a lot of time from typing my weird iTunes acc password.

Are any of you guys holding until Touch ID too?

2. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Look, from my own experience... Do not hold. There will always a better product coming along and nothing is perfect . If you can afford it, buy it and enjoy your life. Its no worthwhile wasting years of your life skipping on good products until a better one comes along.

There are instances where you SHOULD wait or should NOT update. For example, the iPad 4 was such a small upgrade that I didn't have to upgrade my iPad 3. Now that the air is out, my previous iPad is almost 2 years old, the iPad Air is so much faster and lighter and it just got with new looks , so next year it will not have any revolutionary design maybe simple updates or maybe no updates at all.

You only have one question, do you want a Mini or Air... after some thought I went with the Air because what is the difference between my iPhone and my iPad? Its the screen size , so if I am going for tablet I might as well go the all the way. If you are purposely looking for something that is extremely light weight for long reading sessions you should really go with the Kindle. Its much cheaper and much lighter in weight.

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

There's no guarantee the iPads will ever get touch id.

4. Epiphron macrumors regular

if you want what's offered now, get it. if not, don't. Don't hold out for feature x/y because a year from now, it'll be the same situation with another feature x/y and people will be asking the same thing..

5. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Since your iPad is already acting wonky, low on space and I assume out of warranty, I'd just upgrade now if I were you.

6. jian thread starter macrumors regular

I actually like your POV. I am pretty determined to get the Mini, that's because I find myself getting really tired holding iPad on my bed, but who knows, maybe the new Air would be light weighted enough. the whole "you can hold it in one hand" thing isn't important, but I can see myself complaining about the smaller screen. Since Air comes out before Mini, I can test drive both in store before the purchase.

7. nostresshere macrumors 68030

1 - How often do you even have to type your itunes account?

2 - Change it to something not so "weird".

8. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I am very use to the Mini's size and weight now and previously dumped the iPad 4 TWICE even though I would rather have the larger screen and resolution.

The Sony Xperia Tablet Z is closest to the Ipad Air in thickness and weight that I've seen at Best Buy on display. It has a larger screen but holding and handling it many times at the store and while I really like my Mini, I do not see a problem with the new Air. I'm getting it Friday first thing.

9. jian thread starter macrumors regular

1)few times a week.
    2)It's a serial number of an Apple product I used to own :cool: it might be weird but it's cool and secure.

10. THFourteen macrumors 6502

Nobody even knew they wanted touch ID until a couple of months ago. Its just a gimmick.

Buy the ipad you want as soon as you can.