Should I upgrade original iPhone to 3GS?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elmoemily, Jun 11, 2009.

1. elmoemily macrumors newbie

I'm really stuck on the fence here and I thought some people out there might be able to give me some advice. I bought my iPhone opening weekend (2007) for the lovely price of $599. It was an insane thing to do and I do regret paying so much, but my phone has been worth it over the course of the past 2 years. When the 3G came out I really wanted to upgrade, but I was a newlywed and funds were tight, so I decided that I would wait a year and see what 2009 brought. But now that the day has finally come and I feel like I "deserve" an upgrade, I'm still undecided. Here are my hang-ups:

1. this seems to be a "small" upgrade in the iPhone line, and I worry that next summer the changes in the iPhone will be leaps and bounds above the 3G S, and I'll be stuck waiting another year because of a 2 year contract.

2. Do I really want to sign another 2 year contract? Are the rumors that ATT will be lowering their rates true? To be honest, I haven't had problems with AT&T. I do feel that their inability to provide MMS to iPhone users is ridiculous, and they are making bank off of us . . . but I've never had any major billing upsets with them.

3. My reliable old iPhone still works. The battery still holds a charge just fine as long as I charge it nightly. I've taken pretty good care of it. Unfortunately the screen is cracked down the side, but it hasn't affected performance and I barely even notice it anymore. It's been cracked over a year. So should I wait until my current phone kicks the bucket and get my money's worth? My husband really enjoys some of the apps on it so maybe I could just convert it to an iPod and let him have it?

What do you guys think? What do we predict will come with the 2010 iPhone launch?

Your advice is really appreciated :)

PS - I live in Utah and we get pretty good coverage here. My bro-in-law has a 3G and he says he gets 3G quite a bit.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Oh didn't you hear? The 2010 iphone will have 5g, time travel, twelve screens, fourty cameras , biometrics, 1 tb space, 8 gigs ram, a 60 in 1 media reader and a turbo charged engine. Well, this is what current 3g owners would have you believe anyway.

The outside may not have changed much, and Apple clearly downplayed the changes in the keynote, but thats because the devs had an entire week to get their fill of the iphone, and it would be foolish to try to spring EVERYTHING about the new line up (macbook pro, snow leopard included) in one jampacked 5 hour session on a monday morning.

The truth is, the innards incorporate an entirely new chipset (as outlined on the first page). New graphics capabilities, new processing capabilities etc. Once the devs start to develop apps that push any phone to their limits will be where the 3g S shines, in addition to daily usage. There was a bit of upset when it didn't have rumored items like front facing camera etc, and these could very well be incorporated into the next phone. Problem is, we just don't know yet. Speculation is just that.

If you can deal with your current iPhone, go for it. If you feel that its a bit sluggish, as do I, and could use a change of pace, than get the upgrade. I do know one thing. The next iphone will be better than the 3g s, and the one after that will be better, so if its any consolation you will be eligable to upgrade to the 2011 iphone at subsidized pricing.

3. elmoemily thread starter macrumors newbie

haha! You make some great points! Thanks for your input :D

4. iSaga macrumors regular

I don't see how this is a small upgrade? This version is a much bigger upgrade than the upgrade from the original to 3G. I'm not sure what people actually expect in an upgrade. Chances are next year you will be in the same position, asking yourself should you wait until the following years upgrade.

No one can answer this question for you, quite simply it comes down to do YOU want to upgrade now?

5. macbookhamburg macrumors regular

I´m thinking about it too ... I still really like my original phone and I have a good contract with it (germany) plus I realy like the option, that if I break this one or it gets stolen I can upgrade with no hassle....
    I´m pretty sure that I will just wait until 3.0 comes out wich will turn my 2g into a new phone ...
    Then I´ll see what upgrade otions they give me ....

BY the way ... Thats what I really like about apple .... I was sastified with my ipod 2nd generation I had for years until it broke and I bought an ipone ...
    What I´m trying to say is that the 2g is still a great product :)