Should I upgrade refurbished mac to lion.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by inscrewtable, Feb 4, 2012.

1. inscrewtable macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I'm getting a current model 3.4GHz 27" refurb imac delivered in a couple of days and the apple store says even though it is repacked that it will ship with the OS it originally shipped with which would be 10.6

I'm currently using Leopard on a G5 so I don't know anything about 10.6 or 10.7.

I'm inclined to start off with 10.7 as it's been out a while, but when I look at threads about 10.7 I get conflicting views about whether I should be using it or not.

Is there any reasons that I should stay with the OS the imac will ship with or am I worrying unduly about 10.7 and just go with it.

2. SlasherDuff macrumors 6502a

SlasherDuff

All anyone can suggest is try it out before doing a full upgrade. Good luck :)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I only upgrade when a new OS version offers something I need that my current version doesn't provide. So far, I'm still on Leopard and have found no reason to upgrade. YMMV

4. simsaladimbamba

If you use Exposé and especially Spaces, like shown in this (a bit sarcastic) post, then try 10.6, it doesn't differ that much from 10.5 at all.

I tried Lion, but the post is in a thread which explains and links to more of these "To Lion or not to Lion" topics.

5. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

When I first saw OSX I preferred to use 9.2 for a long while. It took some time to warm to OSX. I was happy with tiger and although I resisted for a long while I was not unhappy with Leopard. From there on I've lost touch completely.

Leopard is perfectly adequate for my needs as I am naturally averse to too much bling. I've recently started using photoshop CS3 and while the palettes work better it's nevertheless bugging me. I mainly just use core photoshop technology like channels and I'd be happier with photoshop 6 if truth be told.

Therefore it sounds like it's probably best to stay with 10.6, so my only real question seeing as I'm not really interested in all the trick stuff on 10.7 is this question...

Is Snow Leopard considered to be a bug free and properly working OS, it's not got any funny business that they didn't fix because 10.7 came out, is there?

Will someone confirm that 10.6 is stable and works well with the CS suite?

thanks

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

There is no significant piece of software that is bug free.

I use 10.6.8 and find it very stable. I am considering upgrading one of my machines to Lion because there is one piece of software I want that does not run on SL.

If the software you want to run is supported on SL, and you are not interested in the icloud stuff, I see no compelling reason to move to Lion.

7. inscrewtable thread starter macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

I suppose I'm duty bound to note that having been forced into keeping Lion, I actually am rather smitten with King Kat. I find the mission control set up especially with the swiping gestures, more useful than spaces which I never wanted to use. However 'mission control' is a bit of a naff name, maybe they could have called it 'spaces II the universe strikes back' or "lost in spaces."

8. durija macrumors 6502

If you're still on a g5, then it's likely that many of your apps are ppc only. You won't be able to run those on 10.7 at all. I would do a thorough check of all of my important apps before moving to Lion.

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'm pretty comfortable with 10.6. The only thing I dislike is Finder which works worse than Windows Explorer for XP. Poorly implemented folder/file sorting, search results are not sortable by date, cannot delete/create/rename files at open dialog when selecting a file to upload via browser, you can't open encrypted sparsebundles by double clicking it and so on.

However, if you're comfortable with 10.5's Finder then you'll be well attended by 10.6's.

A nice feature for laptops included in Lion is the improved FileVault capable of encrypting the entire system. In 10.6 I have to create various encrypted sparsebundles to store sensitive work and share them between accounts.