Should I upgrade sooner than later?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dookieman, Jun 9, 2011.

  1. Dookieman macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I am wondering if I should upgrade from my current MBP I bought in September 2007. I have no real issues with performance as I do mostly web crowing and gaming, SC2 and Torchlight. But with Lion coming out and Diablo 3 in the not to distant future, should I buy a new MBP, or will I still be in decent shape for when these things hit the public?
  2. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 26, 2006
    If you're happy with what you have now, no point in upgrading yet. Once the items come out that you're waiting for, install and see if you need to upgrade at that point.
  3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816


    Mar 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wait and see if you really need to upgrade.
  4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

    Dark Void

    Jun 1, 2011
    are there any system requirements for the games you want to play that are coming out that have been recognized yet? if so definitely look at those as a base point to decide whether or not an upgrade is crucial or not. there aren't many upgrades that you can service yourself easily in terms of gaming, it's going to come down to what gpu you have, mainly. if your gpu is solid in terms of the system requirements then you will be good. you won't see much improvements in games by upgrading your hdd or ram.
  5. DustinT macrumors 68000


    Feb 26, 2011
    From your late 2007 MacBook Pro to the current ones there have been substantial upgrades in CPU, GPU and hard drive performance. If you upgraded now you'd have the benefit of a computer whose design is several generations newer and the performances increases that will come with. The Core 2 Duo and the Nvidia 8600m GT video card were good for their day but times have really changed. Your current card pulled 3347 on 3dmark 06 and the current base 15" had a score 60% higher at 5602. So, thats a significant increase just from the base 15%. If you went with the upgraded 15" you'd see a score of 9406, or 300% better than your current laptop. Add in the benefits from the newer processer and you'll have a system that will perform noticeably better in all around use and definitely in gaming as well.

    Whether you need that or not is up to you. Certainly, Apple will be releasing newer, faster hardware someday. But, they will always be releasing new hardware with better performance. So, at some point you have to make a switch. I think since Apple is reportedly redesigning the MBP for 2012 to a new chassis it would be a good time to get rid of the 2007. But, at the end of the day its your decision.
  6. Dookieman thread starter macrumors 6502

    Oct 12, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Well from what I read, Lion will perform fine on my current system, so when apple updates their current models, I'll spring for one. Does anyone know if apple will update thier notebooks later this year?
  7. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 29, 2011
    They updated them a couple months ago. Unless you're looking for an Air, the MBPs have already been updated for this year. Next update Q1 2012 I am willing to bet. Whenever Intel brings out Ivy Bridge.
  8. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a


    Feb 12, 2011
    Gallifrey, 5124
    The only notebooks to update this year are MacBook Airs and MacBook. i don't know if they'll even be updating the MacBook this year, but my guess is July for the Air. Around the same time as lion i think.

Share This Page