Should I Upgrade SR MBP RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by catgo, Oct 1, 2007.

1. catgo macrumors member

I have a SR MBP 2.2, lately i been having problems when using some programs like Aperture, Safari and iTunes simultaneously. Aperture gets unresponsive for a few seconds before executing the command. This usually does not happen when I just restarted the computer and have all other programs closed.

I'm planning to upgrade the RAM and I can't decide if I should put 3Gb or 4 GB, mostly because of the cost this involves. I can get a 2 GB Module for $100 online or $195 for 2 of them bringing my ram up to 4GB.

However i would be satisfied if having 3GB would solve my problem with Aperture. Do you guys think that by adding the extra 1GB to a total of 3Gb will solve my problem while using aperture, or is it required that i upgrade to 4GB to solve this aperture issue.

Any comments would help, Thanks

2. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

Have you used iStat or some other program to analyze your memory usage?

3. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Yes I do use it, when using Aperture, i only have about 200 MB free and i often get page-outs for example after 20 min use, i may have 60,000 page-ins and 10,000 page-outs. thanks

4. catgo thread starter macrumors member

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Compusa's current sale is the 2GB SO-DIMM for $75.

Great if they are nearby.

Edit:

I was cheap and opted for the $40 1GB So-DIMM, but I've not had many pageouts at all before the memory bump. And didn't want the mail order hassle to see if I could save 10-50%.

6. iamjustin macrumors member

depends what your using it for. i know alot of professional photographers and such that are satisfied with just 2gb of ram, alot of ppl just want a pimp computer for no reason other than they just want a sweet computer, so first ask urself if u really need it for what u do and want to do.

7. catgo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the Compusa tip, the price is great, the cheapest i've seen...will order soon! Thanks

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

They are next center over from the Apple Store here, so I've stopped by a couple times the past couple weeks.

And the current instant rebates on memory, made it a decent local deal.