Should I upgrade Time Capsule HDD? Can I?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Doju, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Doju macrumors 68000

Here's my plan. Order MacBook Pro 13" with BTO 500GB HDD. I also have a Time Capsule with a 500GB HDD. Order a 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green (3.5") and upgrade Time Capsule to the 1TB (as the 500GB won't make much sense with my 500GB internal, right? I'll need 500GB+).

I then take the old 500GB HDD I took out of the Time Capsule, slap an external HDD on it, and then I have a 500GB 3.5" external HDD for storage (movies, etc.)

Upgrading the Time Capsule is possible, right? I'm using this guide. I was thinking this drive for the upgrade, would it work?

My other option is order the MacBook Pro 13" with a 250GB hard drive (stock), order a 500GB 2.5" internal from Newegg at the same time, swap out 250GB for 500GB, slap an enclosure on the 2.5" 250GB and use that as my external.

With option 1 I have a 1TB Time Capsule, 500GB internal HDD and 500GB external HDD. Perfect for backups, internal storage and external movie storage. Cost: ~$160

With option 2, which may be better if upgrading the Time Capsule is a suicide mission, I have a 500GB internal, 500GB Time Capsule and 250GB external. Cost: ~$110

What would you guys do? For $50 more I get about 750GB more storage, but I dunno.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Go for the Time Capsule upgrade. I've done it and it's a lot simpler than the guides make it out to be. That hard drive you've chosen is perfect for it as well, considering those that have used that drive report that it runs at a lower temperature and uses less power. Just make sure the enclosure you get to seat the Time Capsule's old hard drive is a SATA enclosure (IDE won't work) and you're set. Also, partition the new drive using your Mac as HFS+ before placing it in the Time Capsule.