Should I upgrade to 10.9 on this machine?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Trevor Harris, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Trevor Harris macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So I have one of the original versions of the macBook, purchased it 2006. I've was originally continually updating the OS's as they came out, but when upgrading to Leopard, I found it ran sluggish in my machine. I went for Snow Leopard, which did run faster, but haven't upgraded since in fear that my macBook won't be able to handle the new software so well.

Now, I'm not sure if this is foolish thinking or not, but should I upgrade to Mavericks? Am I at risk of bogging down my macBook?

My processor is a 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and my memory says 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Although, I'm pretty sure that I did have 4 GB installed a few years ago. Hmm... perhaps one of them is fried. Anywho, that's another story for another day. Thanks for listening!

Trevor

2. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

If you have an old computer that's working well, never upgrade it. Let it go until it will go no more.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you have the MacBook, Late 2006, which is limited to OS X 10.7.5, at the most. You can't upgrade to 10.9 - just not possible.
    If you have 2 GB, you could check in your System Profiler to see what is installed in each memory slot. Get there from the Apple Menu/About this Mac, then click the More Info button, which will launch your System Profiler. Click on the memory tab. You CAN have up to 4 GB installed, but your older MacBook won't read more than 3 GB.