Should i upgrade to 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m.jacobs, Dec 8, 2009.

1. m.jacobs macrumors newbie

I have a factory unlocked 3GS 32 G on OS 3.0 (with Vodafone in Australia)and really want to upgrade to 3.1.2 as i am a avid gamer and there are now new games with requirements of 3.1 and greater.
    I am a little afraid as my iphone now works perfectly (exept so so reception) but battery life is good etc and have read that 3.2.1 has a few unresolved issues i.e battery depletion , iphone loops in '"searching" mode , network issues etc...

Can you guys advise if you have had any good or bad experiences

(Itunes version is 9.0.2 and OS is XP)

Cheers

Marc

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Go for it, 3.1.2 is definetelly better than 3.0, stable and without any probs so far on my 3GS.

3. m.jacobs thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Applejuiced thanks for the really quick reply mate

Did you upgrade yours from 3.0 or did you go down the 3.1.1 route ?

...really want to upgrade still a little fearful (think i have been reading too many negative posts)

Cheers

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I went to 3.1 from 3.0 but skipped the 3.1.1 update since it was just a small bug fix. Then went straight to 3.1.2 without looking back.
    I dont think you have much to worry about with 3.1.2

5. tamasvarga67 macrumors regular

I am too on 3.1.2 with 3GS with no problems so you should be OK.

6. Heavy Dude macrumors newbie

I´m on a 3GS with 3.1.2 and am having major problems.. very bad battery, disappearing network, chrashing apps etc, and all this happened overnight when i updated to 3.1.2..:mad: Had a nice working iPhone on 3.1.1, but now everything is screwed up and I can´t roll back, so if I were you I would wait till 3.2.. I tried a full restore 3 times now but it doesn´t do anything...:(

7. Mademan12321 macrumors 6502

Taken from another topic

LOL. the irony. I have mine JB and set up for tethering.

Here is my stats for battery life

I feel it could be a bit better but its pretty close to the specs. My usage was for two calls and Puzzle Quest and Space Ace.

Percent: 81%
    Usage: 1H 18M
    Standby: 8H 55M
    Connection Status: Wi-fi
    3G: On
    Push: Off
    Fetch: Off
    Bluetooth: Off
    10 pages of apps

8. S Brake macrumors regular

I upgraded last night and am really wishing that I hadn't. I haven't had a solid connection all day, I have full bars but I can't seem to get any data. And I found out after the fact that 3.1.2 breaks gmail's exchange push. Not very happy right now.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was wondering what happened to my push! :eek:

WTH Apple!?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are the exception not the rule.
    Everyone elses worked fine.
    Did you try doing a frimware restore but not restore from backup. Setup as new.
    Just a suggestion but just cause you got problems it doesnt mean everyone else will.

11. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

3.1.2 is much better than 3.0. I have it and it has added security features over 3.0.

12. m.jacobs thread starter macrumors newbie

What is the best way to upgrade ?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its advised in order to avoid any issues or inherit problems/bugs from previous firmware installs to not restore from backup.
    But instead setup as new phone and then transfer all your contacts and sync all your music and apps thru itunes.

14. zunairryk macrumors regular

i have iphone 3gs running 3.1.2. The battery life is really poor and i also have the network disappearing problem. The phone would just loose the signal completely, and then after a few seconds it will go back to full bars. Today for the first time, my iphone completely lost the service, i even restarted it, and it kept saying "searching" or "no service" for a good minute or two.I was going to get it exchanged, but after reading this thread, i might wait for an update.

BTW my iphone is jailbroken, but not unlocked. So i can see why the battery life is poor, but network problem seems to be hardware related though.

15. Heavy Dude macrumors newbie

I can only tell my experience, which is bad, and if you do a search in here you will see i´m far from the only one..!!!
    And yes, I did a clean restore 3 times as I wrote....
    Don´t get on me, just because I tell m jacobs my problems...
    it seems that it´s very random. Some people have good experiences with 3.1.2 and others haven´t, so i just advice him to wait
    cause he might be one of the unlucky ones...

16. S Brake macrumors regular

I restored from backup and I now have a continuous data connection. Still a little upset about gmail push being broken.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I did the update on 4 iPhone 3G's, 1 3GS and 2 2G's with 3.1.2 with no problems at all.
    The percentage that did have an issue is very low, if it wasn't Apple would had issued an update by now.
    Again, most don't have any problems with 3.1.2
    it's one of the most stable firmware besides the 2.2.1 back in the day.

18. Heavy Dude macrumors newbie

Doesn´t mean that a lot of people don´t have problems with their..
    I´m on a 3Gs, no JB, had the 3G and have updated the whole way through. Some of the 2.XX FW had issues, but Apple didn´t issue quick updates for those FWs..
    i was on a iPhone blog the other day and they made a voting for how many people had disappering network issues and it was over 65%, so I wouldn´t call this "a low percentage"..
    Anyway if you read m jacobs start of this thread, he says "Can you guys advise if you have had any good or bad experiences" and mine has been bad..

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

An iPhone blog with a few dozen iPhone owners with problems doesn't even come close to mean anything compared to the million of iPhones sold thruout the world.
    But I hear about your own experience, your obviously not the only one that had issues with 3.1.2
    but with every firmware release there's always some unlucky ones with problems.

20. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I had a 3GS on 3.1 and I have been considering an upgrade to 3.1.2.....mainly now because my Youtube app does not work. I think I am going to wait until 3.2 comes out to fool with it. Other than youtube, my phone is working great on 3.1