Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Hey guys!
So I currently have a 2013 13" Air with 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD and it's still getting all my needs done like a champ. I have been thinking about possibly upgrading to a pro for the better screen resolution, and I was thinking about getting maybe a 2015 pro?

I've tried the new keyboard on the new macbooks and I really do not like them and as someone who uses their SD and USB slots daily I'm thinking about going for the 2015, additional plus that it also still has the magsafe.

Now Somethings that I'm worried about....
Because it is older tech, should I look for a spec bumped version to future-proof it better?
How's the battery life? I figured with a better screen, it would drain more and I do love my air's battery life.
Finally is it worth it in the long run? Or should I just sick it out with my air?

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Hey guys!
So I currently have a 2013 13" Air with 8GB Ram and 256GB SSD and it's still getting all my needs done like a champ. I have been thinking about possibly upgrading to a pro for the better screen resolution, and I was thinking about getting maybe a 2015 pro?

I've tried the new keyboard on the new macbooks and I really do not like them and as someone who uses their SD and USB slots daily I'm thinking about going for the 2015, additional plus that it also still has the magsafe.

Now Somethings that I'm worried about....
Because it is older tech, should I look for a spec bumped version to future-proof it better?
How's the battery life? I figured with a better screen, it would drain more and I do love my air's battery life.
Finally is it worth it in the long run? Or should I just sick it out with my air?

Love the 2015 13" rMBP but I don't know how the screen compares to a 2013 13" MacBook Air.

Are you in the UK? because I know the best place to buy with 24 month warranty.

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
Love the 2015 13" rMBP but I don't know how the screen compares to a 2013 13" MacBook Air.

Are you in the UK? because I know the best place to buy with 24 month warranty.

Well From all the reviews I've been seeing on youtube, the air gets bashed on quite a bit for the poor screen resolution, in comparison to the retinas, and unfortunately no I live in the states. Thanks though!

Winterfibre

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2016
Get the 2015 model I did and it keeps up with regular stuff.
Gets abit hot when trying a few games out like roadblox but over all very good.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
Well From all the reviews I've been seeing on youtube, the air gets bashed on quite a bit for the poor screen resolution, in comparison to the retinas, and unfortunately no I live in the states. Thanks though!

I was going to say Costco UK is the place, Costco USA more up to date, may not have the 2015

I use mine with a 24" Samsung 4K a lot, don't think I get 4K but its as good as our works iMacs imo

polbit

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2002
South Carolina
Air is a battery champ, I don't think you can match it with a '15 rMBP, but it's still great. As far as '15 vs '17, you can always get the new one and try it at home for 14 days. The keyboard really requires a longer test period than 15 minutes at a store - I hated it at first, now it's my favorite laptop keyboard. As far as #donglelife, well... get a small hub with few USB 3.0 ports and SD card reader, and you should be good.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The 2015 design MacBook Pros represent the epitome of that particular design, and remain highly-capable Macs.

Particularly if you want the "legacy ports", and if you prefer the "older-style" keyboard to the new (and often problematic) one of the 2016/17 design.

You can still buy "factory-new" 2015 MBPro 15" models from Apple.
If you want the 13", you'll have to buy from Apple's factory-refurbished stock.

I wanted the legacy ports and I liked the older keyboard better.
So I bought the 2015 instead of the 2016, when they were first introduced back in November of last year.

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
If your current Air meets your needs and you do not mind the screen, IMO there's no significant reason to upgrade as you already have an outstanding computer. Further, I think the coming developments from Apple over the next 18 months are going to result in some very exciting releases.

The 2015 Pro is a great design and it has excellent battery life. On average, the Air arguably has the better battery, but the Pro is no slouch. The usage itself can impact running times, as shown with some synthetic tests.

The retina MacBook may also be worth checking out. I'm getting crazy good battery life. The current MacBook Pro without the touchbar also gets great runtimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.