Should I Upgrade to a D90 or higher?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by timring, Jul 11, 2010.

1. timring macrumors newbie

About a year ago I purchased a Nikon D40 with the kit 18-55mm lens. And I loved it. I then purchased a Nikon 55-200mm lens and explored zooming. About six months ago I purchased a 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron lens. The quality of my pictures increased again. Now, I am not loving my D40 as much. It has bad noise control, so-so autofocus, doesn't take video, and no decent intervalometers are compatible with it. I was wondering if I should upgrade to a Nikon D90 or maybe even a D300s. I know that an upgrade for the D90 may be coming in the next few months. So what should I do?

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

It has neither 'horrible noise control' nor 'shoddy autofocus'. Most likely the novelty of your camera has worn off. By all means get a newer one, but there are always new features. 'd be very surprised if your D40 was the main thing holding you back.

3. timring thread starter macrumors newbie

Buy a new D40? The novelty wore off, but it wore off a while ago. I've gone to some exciting places and had have been disappointed by my camera. I also am beginning to print more, and having higher resolution photos would help.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

The D40 is a really old sensor, and (having had a D70) its noise handling is way behind that of current sensors. I'd say yes, it's time to upgrade. You should probably handle a D300s before you make that purchase decision, though - it's not quite as heavy as my D700, but in your hands it may feel like a brick compared to your current camera.

Be sure to look objectively at the features of the D90 and the D300s, and decide if you're really missing out if you choose the D90. The D300s has more focus points and has mirror lockup, for example - are those features you actually need?

5. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

I currently own a D90

And if you're planning to get video with it, think about a dedicated device. I tried it out, but it's just not feasible to get anything with great quality out of it.

Not because the camera hasn't but because you need to manual focus your video. So imagine making a 3 minute video always struggling to get the picture focused, it's just too much for me. But, then again I really hate to shoot video. Maybe it's me.

So far the D90 has served me well, but in your case, since you've tried the D40, if you feel like a more pro approach, maybe the D300 is the way to go. After all you've already invested in the costly part of a camera. The lenses... So you might have a bit more to spare and get the D300 body.