Should I upgrade to a new Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Geffen, Nov 15, 2008.

  1. Geffen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #1
    I currently have a Macbook Pro 2.33 and ive been thinking of upgrading to one of the new Macbook Pro 2.4's ive been trying to weigh the pros and cons, i have noticed some issues with the new ones from the postings, would it be wise to wait till the bugs are fixed before buying? or just keep what i have?
     
  2. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

    iVeBeenDrinkin'

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
  3. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #3
    Well i would be getting 1GB more ram i would be able to go up to 4GB instead of the 3GB i currently have, also a larger HD i currently have a 160 i could move up to a 250GB and better graphics.
     
  4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

    iVeBeenDrinkin'

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    #4
    My advice is to not worry about what people say in this forum. I am sure that for every 1 defective Pro 100 or more are great. You also have 14 days to make sure it is not defective.
     
  5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #5
    Same machine I have, the 2.33 17". I see the new ones as only an incremental improvement to make the hassle and cost it worth it. Hang on to what you've got and see what comes in the new year.
     
  6. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

    MowingDevil

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    #6
    I'm not saying you should or shouldn't upgrade but has there ever been a revision that didn't have some kind of bugs? Seems to me its always one thing after the other, thats the nature of electronics...allegedly.
     
  7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #7
    here, here

    I couldn't agree more. If the 'old' one works and continues to serve your purposes, use it until it does not. Go to macworld and a few other websites where they benchmark the new machine and compare it to some of its predecessors, and it does not show 'night and day' performance improvements. The new mobile quad chip (Nahalem?) is said to be a drastic improvement over the current models, but even then I'd wait until third parties do some benchmarks to make sure it equates to improved real world performance.

    OTOH, if you're a true pro using your machine to make a living, and every extra second would mean additional income, it may be worth it. Figure out how much you'd get for your 'old' machine (assuming you're going to sell it), figure out much extra time it will give you for a year or two, and calculate whether the extra time savings would be worth the upgrade or outright purchase of the new machine.
     
  8. docal97 macrumors 6502a

    docal97

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Location:
    Southampton
    #8
    The new machine will mor be that much of an improvement to justify the cost. Slight bumps in processor speed and ram will not be appreciated by most users, depending on what u use the machine for of course.

    I have a 2.4 sr and I'll upgrade when there is a substantial change in from what I have now.
     
  9. Apple addict macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    #9
    Yes.

    Based upon your statement it does not sound like you "need" to upgrade but more like you "want" to upgrade (not that there is anything wrong with that ;).
    If you have the financial means I would say go for it.

    Gary
     
  10. Geffen thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #10
    True its a definate need and want i would say especially after checking them out hands on at the Apple store however i am going to keep what i have since i would not want to get wrapped up in getting one with a quality control issue.
     

Share This Page