Should I upgrade to High Sierra for Photo Editing?

snerkler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
Hi,

I'm always reluctant to update software, especially when my system appears to be running bug free, and I am a little surprised that my week old MBP hasn't shipped with High Sierra tbh. Anyway, apart from the everyday mundane tasks of word processing and internet browsing, one of my main uses of my computer is photo editing using Lightroom and Photoshop and when I'm working fast my MBP gets very hot (as did my last), I'm sure as a result of the programs being very RAM and GPU intensive. As high Sierra has a whole new file structure under the hood would this help my computer to run cooler, or is this purely down to the software?

Cheers.

Princess Cake

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2010
Cheboygan, MI
And the fact that Adobe apps have a lot of issues on High Sierra right now.
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. My Adobe Flash CS6 thats been fine since 2012 doesn't work anymore in High Sierra- importing an image into it crashes the program each time...

I said it before and I'll say it again, I haven't had an OS this buggy since Lion and that was bordering on Vista territory in terms of the headaches it gave me.

Reactions: Rok73 and snerkler

snerkler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
If you have a MBP with a Radeon Pro GPU, I wouldn't upgrade just yet.

I've had endless problems with High Sierra and my MacBook Pro with GPU accelerated programs due to this issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2017-mbp-15-radeon-gpu-does-not-work-after-resume-from-long-sleep.2076334/

And the fact that Adobe apps have a lot of issues on High Sierra right now.
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie. My Adobe Flash CS6 thats been fine since 2012 doesn't work anymore in High Sierra- importing an image into it crashes the program each time...

I said it before and I'll say it again, I haven't had an OS this buggy since Lion and that was bordering on Vista territory in terms of the headaches it gave me.
Thanks for the replies guys, I shall give it a wide berth for now then.

Anto38x

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2006
Cork, Ireland
I'm running High Sierra on my new MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar plus all Creative Cloud Subscription apps and not a single issue. It's upgrading on my MacPro 2010 that I'm worried about.... but all my apps are fully compatible there also. Anyone update a 2010 MacPro to High Sierra...?

Reactions: snerkler

snerkler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I'm running High Sierra on my new MacBook Pro 2017 with Touch Bar plus all Creative Cloud Subscription apps and not a single issue. It's upgrading on my MacPro 2010 that I'm worried about.... but all my apps are fully compatible there also. Anyone update a 2010 MacPro to High Sierra...?
That's the MBP I have too. Did yours come with High Sierra or did you upgrade?

borgeindergaard

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
You'll be glad to know that your Radeon GPU performs 70% worse than it could after your laptop has been in sleep mode. This also applies to any GPU-accellerated photo editing application like Lightroom, Photoshop, Capture One Pro, Affinity Photo, etc... So just because it's working alright doesn't mean you're getting the performance you should be getting if the bug in High Sierra that causes a huge performance degradation on AMD dGPU's after the computer has been in sleep mode. The bug exists in 10.13.0, 10.13.1 and 10.13.2 beta.

To the OP: I would not upgrade yet. I regret doing so because of the GPU bug that I just mentioned.

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
I use PS CS6 13.0.6, Acrobat Pro 11.0.22 and of course Flash 27.0.0.183. Absolutely no issues for me in HS .0 or .1.

Lou

splifingate

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
My MacPro 2012 is working well with HS.

I use only PS and LR (now 'Classic') somewhat infrequently, but they are performing as expected.

Regards, splifingate

Reactions: snerkler