Should I upgrade to ios4? NOOB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3v0, Jun 18, 2010.

1. 3v0 macrumors member

I have a 16gb Iphone 3g. I went to radio shack and the guy told me that I shouldnt get the update. He said my phone will run CRAZY slow. Is this true? I dont plan to get the os4 gm out now but the one apple releases on monday.

Should I do it?

Also, my provider is AT&T, I thought about jail breaking the phone but everyone seems to say not to since well, I have at&t. Would you guys do it?

Which would be a smarter route?

A) Leave as is
    B) Jail break
    C) Get the IOS4 update

(I might try to buy the iphone 4 but idk yet, if I do it wont be for a month or two)

2. IndianaiPhone macrumors regular

I just upgraded using the GM and I don't sense my phone being any slower that it previously was. Go ahead and get the upgrade.

3. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

It's all up to you. Go to Apple when the phone is released, demo the new iPhone.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Other folks in this forum are reporting poor performance after the upgrade.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

My girlfriend's 3G was painfully slow before and after iOS4. I'm pretty sure it was actually a little faster with iOS4, but don't quote me on it. I had a 3GS.

6. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I doubt it. The things that would make the phone run slower have been disabled for that version.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Exactly. Which is why I don't know why the Radio Shack dude would say that. Maybe he doesn't realize all of the features won't be enabled/available for the 3G?

8. hipvamore macrumors regular

go for the ios4. if you dont like im pretty sure you'll be able to downgrade or jailbreak iOS4 once someone comes out with it

9. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Dude works at Radio Sack, I wouldn't trust him. At least, the guys in the RS near me are all idiots. The only people that know anything there are the older guys who actually know about electronics, soldering, wiring, stuff like that. I'm convinced the younger guys are there to sell cell phones and that's it.

This (the idiot part above) especially holds true if the guy actually said "crazy slow" in a sentence to a customer.

10. techluvr macrumors regular

I also have a 16GB 3G, and I saw a significant speed improvement when upgrading to the GM seed. I say go for it.

11. fuzion macrumors 6502

I can't say mine is any slower than it was prior to iOS 4. 3.0 slowed it down I think; it's frustratingly slow.. The things that the 3G cannot handle, sans wall paper.. damnit.. are excluded from the iOS 4 IPSW package.

So long story short.. the only real advantage to installing iOS 4 is the folders; if you don't want that then why bother upgrading :)

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

You'd have to go back 15+ years to actually have a knowledgeable Radioshack employee. These days all they are interested in is asking if you need any batteries during checkout.

13. fuzion macrumors 6502

Soo... you do need batteries or no?

14. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

No, I'm good, thanks.

15. Aleco macrumors regular

They're on sale though.

Go for the upgrade btw...

16. kelvinti macrumors newbie

For those with laggy IOS4 on your 3G and 3GS after the 1st upgarde, a complete re-restore for the 2nd time of IOS 4 would help greatly.

After my first restore to ios 4, my 3GS was laggy. So, I decided to re-restore ios 4, and now my 3GS is running so much smoother and faster than 3.1.3! That's for sure! IOS 4 is running faster than amy previous fw for sure even on 3GS. (I'm not sure about 3G coz I dont own onw).

Give it a try, folks! :)

17. macdim macrumors 6502

Hmm... might have to try this as my 3G that was restored as a previous phone from 3.1.3 is soooo god damn slow. I want to throw this piece of you-know-what out the window.