should I upgrade to iOS4 on my iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aforty, Jun 27, 2010.

1. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Not a 3GS, a 3G. I've heard it's slow as hell. What's the consensus? Should I upgrade?

I can certainly live without it but wouldn't mind checking out some of the new features while I wait for my white iPhone 4.

2. Mfear macrumors member

Yes.. I had it installed for the few days before i got my iphone 4 and it was quicker than the older OS.. (yes, I had a 3G, not a 3GS)

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Ditto

4. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, I cannot say the same, I felt it was a little bit slower than iOS 3.1.3. It doesn't hurt to try though, make sure to keep your pre iOS4 backup before upgrading to iOS 4 incase you decide to revert back.

I didn't do that and had to start fresh when I reverted back to iOS 3.x

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Beware- Resale value of the 3G will drop dramatically if you upgrade since it won't be able to be unlocked/jailbroken- at least for now. People want old 3Gs unlocked.

So if that is important to you, then I wouldn't upgrade.

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I also had the 3G running ios 4 for a few days before getting the iPhone 4. it seemed at times that it was snappier than before and at times much slower than before. mixed bag in my opinion. I guess a unified email box and folders sort of make it a worthwhile software upgrade, but don't expect a breathtakingly better experience.

7. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

That is a very important factor for me... Is it possible for the buyer (or me) to downgrade to 3.1.3 and then unlock?

8. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

Go for it

I upgraded to iOS4 and it made my 3g much snappier in opening and closing apps as well as making calls. I'm using it while I wait for my iPhone 4 (prepared for shipment):D

9. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

You mean after upgrading to iOS 4? I don't think it is that easy. When you update the OS, it also updates the bootloader or some other internal firmawre thing that is the piece that makes it difficult to unlock. Simply going back down to the 3.1.3 doesn't "deinstall" the new bootloader meaning you can't suddenly unlock again.

10. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Got it. I guess I'll wait then.

Thanks all. Keep the opinions on speed improvements (or degradations) coming tho!

11. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Out of curiosity - what do you hope to sell the 3G for? I am debating whether I should use a service like Gazelle.com (easy, but only offering me $120 for my 3G), or waste time on craigslist and sell my jailbroken/unlocked 3G.

Anyone have any idea of what you could get for a 3G?

12. adam.posey macrumors newbie

Having done the 3G to iOS 4 upgrade I'm going to tell you it's not a good idea if you want to keep what performance wasn't stolen by the 3.0 upgrade.

13. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

This was precisely my experience.

14. aforty thread starter macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea I checked Gazelle and that seems to be my backup option (although I have some water damage that they will check for and devalue it). No real damage but I know the little stickers inside are red (and missing, I gave one to my friend -- long story).

I'm thinking $180-200 when unlocked and ready to receive any SIM and use. I'll probably try craigslist first and then maybe eBay. I have a 16GB white. Also I just replaced my glass/digitizer as it was cracked and it looks very pristine at the moment.

15. JeffreyDJ macrumors regular

My wife still has a 3G and she upgraded hers. She's waiting for the white i4.

She installed it, and it doesn't see faster or slower ... But the number of "evident" features is very low. Spell Check, SMS searching, etc. is about all she noticed right off the bat.

Full disclaimer. She has very few apps installed and mostly uses it to browse the internet when out, check email and listen to music.