iPad Should I upgrade to iPad 5 from 4th Gen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 3lite, Sep 28, 2013.

1. 3lite macrumors 6502a

3lite

Current on 4th Generation iPad with retina.

Should I upgrade? What are the new enhancements besides it being a tad faster and new design?

2. Droidrage729 macrumors 6502

I plan ok it just for the form factor everything else is an added bonus.

3. matttye macrumors 601

The iPad 5 hasn't been announced yet.

Perhaps wait until you actually know what the iPad 5 has before making a decision ;)

4. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Agreed, a bit early to speculate with no product announced

5. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

IMO, the specs had better be quite a bit better for you to do that. The 4 is still a very current model and has the excellent A6 chip in it. I have an iPad 2 and I might just get an iPad 4 if the 5 isn't a lights out upgrade.

6. davydavy macrumors member

You are a dream Apple customer!

You know what, if you can afford it, why the heck not have the latest stuff? All preview reports so far indicate some very worthwhile upgrades, most significantly to size and weight. Add a faster processor and the cool fingerprint ID and you won't be disappointed.

7. MauerFan macrumors regular

The iPad 4 is still an excellent device. If you're attracted to the new form factor, and can afford it then go for it!

8. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

Well if I can sell my iPad now for $450 then why not upgrade? My iPad is only going to depreciate in value the longer I hold it.

The dream Apple customer is someone who buys an 64GB iPad with cellular data and the 64GB iPhone every year and never jailbreaks their phone and purchases all of their apps legitimately.

9. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

I think Apple device holder to skip at least one generation before making an update.

If you currently hold a 4, I think its pretty good for like couple more years at least. Games and stuff still need to adjust to Ipad mini which is way lower in spec. However, i have a feeling that Ipad 5 will be more expensive than current gen, they would do that so they dont need to lower the price of 4. New apple mang. is all about the money now.

10. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

what makes you say now? what has changed in their pricing to make it different than say 2008?

11. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Not just a tad, is a huge difference.the chip alone is worth the upgrade.

12. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Personally I think you should, I am most likely upgrading mine. I just hope the cellular version launches along side the WiFi version here in Sweden so I don't have to wait.

13. nippyjun macrumors 65816

You should upgrade. You'll have the latest and greatest and won't feel that you don't have the best one out at the time.

14. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Until they release the next model. Thats problem with always chasing the latest thing... is that you hardly ever truly have the latest thing. ;)

If the chipset, graphics and memory are upgraded then it makes seom sense. otherwise, I wouldnt.

15. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Yes you should upgrade. I don't know anyone who won't be.

16. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

The only real reason to upgrade from a 4 is if you have extra money and want to burn some up. There will be a slightly different form factor and it will be a little faster but really unless you are coming from a 2, maybe a 3, there isn't much need to upgrade

17. mrmarts macrumors 65816

it depends what size iPad 4 you have, if i had an iPad 4 with 128GB of storage lets say. I would not buy another for at least a year, given the price when it first came and also the fact that there is little to none 64 bit apps on app store.

18. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

What?

19. mrmarts macrumors 65816

what are you unclear about? I did not know what storage capacity you have so I gave you my opinion that if you have 4th gen with 128gb you should hold onto it for another year.

20. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I suspect the iPad 5 will have a7x chip. I am hoping for 2gb of RAM. Storage upto 128 gb or more. better LTE, 80211.ac maybe, itouch sensor, ipad mini form factor, possibly hepatic feedback, better cameras, etc. I will upgrade for the storage alone.

21. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Depends what the upgrades are,

I really hope its not just a new housing and spec bump.

22. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

I can't believe that you didn't sell your ipad 4 and buy the 128GB version of the ipad 4 when it came out in February.

I mean, your Ipad 4 has not been "the latest thing" for 8 months now. I would have thought you would be embarrassed to be seen with it in public.

QUICK! Sell your ipad 4 and buy the ipad 4 128GB, so you can be hip and up to date for the next 3 weeks before the new ipad 5 comes out!

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

/s

23. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

Lol this isn't even about being up to the latest and greatest but trying to keep my losses to a premium.

24. davydavy macrumors member

In that case, I might go for less memory rather than more - with online storage such as iCloud and Dropbox being so easy to use these days, I'm not convinced that anything but the lowest memory config is worth spending extra money on.

Just be sure to order the 4G version so you've always got access to that!

25. 3lite thread starter macrumors 6502a

3lite

I have so much trouble discerning whether some of the posts on these forums are being serious or just sarcastic.