Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Hi all.

I know that there will be plenty of you who will say its my choice, but would like your opinion anyway.

My contract has just expired and i called Vodafone to see what offers they could give me on the iPhone 5 as i am a "Valued Customer"

At the moment my tariff has gone down from £47pm to £18 till i decide what to do. They offered my a used iPhone 5 that has apparently been used for a couple of days on their 7 day trial for £33pm, usually £47.

I have two concerns about this

1, Im presuming that whoever tried the phone has plugged it into iTunes and the Apple warranty has been triggered. Not knowing how long its been sitting in Vodafone's stock i could have lost several months worth of warranty.

2, Is the iPhone 5 really worth upgrading to? There are plenty of tales of disappointment with it out there and i'd be stuck with it for another 2 year contract. It also seems that they have plenty of used 5's in stock which tells me that there are plenty of people who were disappointed with it.

I am quite happy with my 4S but am really tempted to get the 5. Just dont want to regret it for the next 2 years and and watch the 5S or 6 pass me by.

What would you do if you were me :confused:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hi all.

I know that there will be plenty of you who will say its my choice, but would like your opinion anyway.

My contract has just expired and i called Vodafone to see what offers they could give me on the iPhone 5 as i am a "Valued Customer"

At the moment my tariff has gone down from £47pm to £18 till i decide what to do. They offered my a used iPhone 5 that has apparently been used for a couple of days on their 7 day trial for £33pm, usually £47.

I have two concerns about this

1, Im presuming that whoever tried the phone has plugged it into iTunes and the Apple warranty has been triggered. Not knowing how long its been sitting in Vodafone's stock i could have lost several months worth of warranty.

2, Is the iPhone 5 really worth upgrading to? There are plenty of tales of disappointment with it out there and i'd be stuck with it for another 2 year contract. It also seems that they have plenty of used 5's in stock which tells me that there are plenty of people who were disappointed with it.

I am quite happy with my 4S but am really tempted to get the 5. Just dont want to regret it for the next 2 years and and watch the 5S or 6 pass me by.

What would you do if you were me :confused:

I'd say hold onto the 4S and wait it out for the 5S.

The 4S has all the features of the 5 (apart from one, taking photos whilst recording video) and is still a very fast phone which iOS6 runs fluidly on.

At the end of the day it's entirely up to you.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I agree. The 5S is but a few months away. If you like the 4S, might as well just keep with it unless you just can't help yourself. It's still a fantastic phone.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Thanks for the replies.

Keeping the 4s seems a better and cheaper option for now.

Do you think there will be an iPhone released this year or will Apple wait till next year and release the iPhone 6 and skip a 5s?

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Thanks for the replies.

Keeping the 4s seems a better and cheaper option for now.

Do you think there will be an iPhone released this year or will Apple wait till next year and release the iPhone 6 and skip a 5s?

They will most defiantly have one this year. If they don't, then their stock holders are going to be not too happy since they need to keep their numbers up. Apple will really behind overall if they don't. It will be an incremental upgrade design wise, so they would just have to source new parts which is Tim Cook's forte. The iPhone 5 is great for now, but if you stand still, bad things happen.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I assume you get the same 7 day trial period, right? If you want the phone, get the phone and check the warranty. My guess is that they don't behave handsets sitting around for months and months. Mayeb tou could even ask to check it before you buy? its as sinole as olugging the serial ninber into Apple's website. Also, in Europe, isn't the warranty two years? I'd personally be ok with losing a month or two of warranty if the total spans two years.

----------

After 6 years in a row of releasing phones on a annual basis why do you think they would skip a full year without a release?:confused: Serious question.

It's possible he doesn't follow releases as closely as some of us do. I know people, even on this board, who have no idea that the iPhone 5 isn't the fifth generation phone. Also, we haven't really heard much on the rumor front. It's certainly possible that we don't see an iPhone refresh, but I'd day highly improbable.

tonivteu

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2013
I agree. The 5S is but a few months away.
5f1.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I've completely lost count of the amount of threads asking this question over the past two weeks.

Do a thread search and see the answers given there or wait and see what Apple offer in the summer. The next iPhone is not far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.